Saturday 17 October 2020

Aliens vs. Predator - 2010 (PC)

Like as i said last week, i will review another Alien Vs Predator game. This time it's Alien Vs Predator (2010) made by Rebellion. Warning: this article contains disturbing violence images. You have been warned!


In this game, the title is in white font and i quite like it even though it looks bland. There's random X-Ray image on the back. It's face hugger at the moment and it looks nicer than in the game, i tell you. It seems people prefers the AvsP 2000 and its sequel so maybe  people don't like my decision here but i'm already in here.   

 

I'm entirely new to this game so i take the sensible decision of choosing the medium difficulty. There's difficulty setting change in middle of the game but i kind of ignore that feature. Back in the day we can only change difficulty setting before the game start and i will keep that (obsolete) mindset. Anyway, i play as Predator because he's awesome alien in my opinion. But i will switch between roles so don't you worry.   

1. Predator

 

The game begins with Weyland Yutani himself investigates this pyramid which is from Predator's civilization, judging from lots Predator's statue and inscriptions on the pyramid. Then he ask to begin the gate breaching to his staffs.

 

The gate open and large white beam is unleashed. I hope that will kill the old schmuck. This event is almost like what happens in the ending of Dark Messiah Might & Magic.

 

Then i'm into predator's trial which is the tutorial level. It's kind of underestimate me to look each of senior hunters before move or fight. I'm not a baby, for God's sake!

 

This is more like it. They sent Xenomorphs (which are called serpents by my mentors). That's not my senior swears at the end of his sentence. It's just that last word hasn't been translated yet. I appreciate this subtitle translation because no matter how big my liking to Predators, i can't understand their language. I'm still human afterall.    


There's 2 buttons to attack: left mouse button for light attack and right mouse button. There's also button for blocking enemy's attack: B (not default). After successful block, i can deliver swift retaliate by pressing left mouse button. There's Rock-Paper-Scissor system going on with the melee combat. Here's the simple diagram that explains it:

 

Heavy Attack takes time to execute and can be interrupted with Light Attack during the process but can break Block. Light Attack is fast but when hit Block , the attacker will be knocked a bit. In this state the attacker is vulnerable to retaliation. If i break enemy's Block with Heavy Attack, he's dizzy for awhile and takes full damage of my attack. Vice Versa. This combat system it's pretty neat and add layers of strategy to the combat. Wild button mashing will most likely not works well

 

Next i'm tasked with shooting statue with the famous shoulder cannon. I can charge it to make the shot more powerful but consume more energy which is indicated by that blue bar on left-bottom corner. As this is tutorial level, my energy will regenerate on its own.

 

Then another group of Xenomorph appears. The tutorial wants me to use my weapon more but i choose to fight them claw to claw because i can't say "no" to finisher move such as this "rib breaker" move. When i successfully break their block, they're stun for awhile and i can grab the for finishing move. Heavy_meleedare06.wav   


Or i can grab them by the neck and pull their toothed tongue off. Heavy_positivevocalization03.wav

 

After killing enough Aliens, i jump out of the trial pit, follow senior hunters a bit, then tutorial ends. I can switch to other role on intermission but i won't do it just yet.  

 

We skip to the scene where Predator's mothership shot down human's because Predators deem human as annoying gnats rather than worthy preys like before. That time is long gone.    

 

Then our mothership dispatch 3 ships into this planet. I'm on one of them. I land safely and...it's time to hunt! 

 

There's those worthless human. I activate my cloaking device, approach them and... i get spotted and riddled with bullets. They're not as stupid as  i thought...or i'm not getting used to stealth mechanism in this game.  

 

Those humans have barricade and automatic turret. This one is more difficult.

 

Finally i can sneak behind a marine and do stealth kill! First i distract him with fake human voice by using "E" button (default). Finisher and stealth kill move also activated with "E" button but thankfully the context sensitivity is responsive enough. There's no button to crouch which is staple for my sneaking method. Therefore i resort to walk, which is unusual for me but it works quite well.

Spy_specialcompleted05.wav. By destroying laptop that governs the turret, it become disabled. I stab the keyboard but somehow the screen cracks. Must be made in Weyland Yutani.  

 

Our mission is to investigate a distress call from other Young Blood (which is term for beginner hunter) than me. Once i find their lifeless body, i overload their wrist so human can't study our technology or anatomy. I expected huge explosion like what happen in Predator movie but no. It's just some electrical field surrounds their body and that's it. I can't mourn my fallen comrade for too long because alien group attacks me.

 

I infiltrate human's premise and i find another automatic turret which is basically sentry from Team Fortress 2 that can see through my stealth cloak but it can only scan up to 45o around its front. I can sneak behind it but clawing it does nothing! Spy_jeers02.wav

 

Don't get ahead of yourself! Demoman_laughevil01.wav

 

I need to borrow this particular head to bypass the retinal scanner. Those foolish human think that someone (or something) can't rip their head to gain access to more restricted area. They're dead wrong!

 

I kind of dislike this marsh because once i step on these water my cloak is immediately worn off. But even so, i manage to stealth kill this soldier. Oh, wow! I can see her ear in detail. Medic_cheers01.wav

 

Inside a small building, i find another fallen brethren and a Proximity Mine. Engineer_mvm_loot_common02.wav

 

This is bad. That's the only entrance i can get pass through next section and they already throw bullets through it because they see me killed one of them outside the gate. I can't distract them with the usual fake voice because they know it was fake. Maybe if i get to other side, i can have easier time to get in.  

 

Nope, i'm dead. What's with small font there? Are you trying to cheer me over my lost, game? How kind of you but i already accustomed with large "You Died" in Cuphead, thank you.  

 

Hahaha! Look at his dumb face! Anyway, i win at the end by using mounted cannon on aware enemies more. Also don't try to sneak in front of their aim. Although, i'm invisible, their flashlight can give them clue of my presence especially when close.  

 

Hey! Collecting head is my job and also Team Fortress 2 Soldier (or DemoKnight). I will get you!

 

Holding "left shift" button allows me to see objective marker and the crosshair points out spot where i can jump into by marking it into cylinder with arrow then i can press jump to get there. If the mark turns cross symbol, that means the spot if either too far or high.

 

I get the marine by the back but his friend shoots me while killing him. It can't be helped as they're in tight formation. I wish i can use enemies as meat shield. 

 

To replenish my energy bar, i must drain human's generator battery. This is jerk act but humans are good for nothing, you know.

 

As for health refill, i use item called health shard which appears in Predator 2 movie. Predator inject snap the item and reveals those sharp thing then stab them into his stomach. He lets out painful scream but he's healed. The health bar (which is located at bottom right HUD) has 3 segment. The health regenerates up to nearest line of the segment. I will die if my health reaches the last line. Using health shard will replenish all the health. I can store 3 health shard maximum. Holding "left shift" mouse also shows me where this health shard located.

 

I'm glad that those blasted humans fight the Xenomorphs. They're cocky bunch who complaint that they don't get to fight the alien queen. But they barely can handle this group of Xenomorphs. Pah! To be fair i back stab one of them while they fight the aliens.

 

Oh no! The Alien Queen has been incinerated by them or by that rookie in marine campaign. But the senior says that the hunt isn't over yet! Hooray!

 

Bad news is one of the elite hunter that arrives with me, is deceased. Good news is: i get to keep his blade disc that i'm longing for! I want to be Predator for longer but i'm afraid i have to move on.

2. Alien (a.k.a Xenomorph)

 

The game starts with Xenomorph cultivation within (obviously) Weyland Yutani's laboratory. 2 humans become medium to raise the chest burster and the staffs prepare glass tube to trap the juvenile alien on medium's chest. But one of the chest burster manage to get inside the medium and comes out from mouth instead. Yutani himself is  impressed with this tricky one, decide to keep it and it's named subject #6.     

 

Time goes by, subject #6 turns into adult Xenomorph and i control it now. Dr. Grooves (who's in front of me) is impressed about my obedience but i have no choice but to follow his instruction otherwise i can't make progress in this tutorial section.

 

Finally, i can break free thanks to Weyland Yutani who unleashes the blue beam that causes electricity cut-off. Our Matriarch cries for help. First i escape from air vent like what Xenomorph does and free my siblings from the shackle. This small tube with toxic symbol apparently must be smashed as part of collectible achievement.

 

Certainly Xenomorph can climbs ceiling and wall. The crosshair has spikes that always point on ground to help my orientation. But sadly i'm still easily confused with this. I'm not good Xenomorph.

 

I'm glad that Xenomorph also has stealth kill. Gonna eat this human's head. CHOMP! I thought this will replenish my health but no. Xenomorph regenerates health up to fullest. No segment on his health bar and no healing item required. As for stealth capability, Xenomorph is instantly invisible when in dark places.

 

Then our matriarch breaks free and we escape together from this stinky lab. I think this is a good point to stop because this looks happy ending for Aliens.

3. Marine

 

I continue my save on marine campaign. I play as soldier on first duty named only Rookie. He has easier HUD than Predator. The marine has same health system as Predator: health bar with 3 segments and can carry 3 healing items at most. As you expect from marine on Alien franchise, he can wield Pulse gun which is the usual rapid peashooter. It has fast fire rate, good accuracy but measly damage per bullet. If not for magazine size of 99 bullets, this gun is as  pitiful as that machine gun in Area 51.

 

The fun thing of being pathetic human is: the ability to throw unlimited flare but only one at a time.

Much much later...

 

At some point i have a duel to death with my bro. He's not hard to defeat. He like to either be on high place and point his cannon or have claw-to-gun fight with me when low on health. That blue bar is his shield meter while the red one is his health meter. I can only deplete his health if his shield goes 0 but he will immediately repair it when it happens.

Much later...

 

I rescue my elder marine. Her name is Tequila. Actually they already implanted chest burster inside her but some rogue officer named Katya insists that she can pull out it without killing Tequila. I try to both save the hard effort and give her mercy killing but the game makes her unkillable. At least, i don't need to worry about baby-sitting her too much. 

 

Our adversaries aren't always Xenomorphs. There's also illegal combat androids (who's employed by Weyland himself because he's total jerk) that wants me dead. Yes, i managed to decapitate him with my scoped rifle. No, it doesn't kill him. The combat androids keep shooting at me even they lost their head. How they can detect me? I clean off their eyes and ears! No wonder they're illegal to deploy. Katya said that they have thick armor on their torso and suggest me to aim their limbs. What do you think this game is, Katya? Dead Space?

 

Here's Katya herself and to my surprise she's also android but not combative ones, mind you. She's the one who send distress call to marine corps after hell breaks loose but that will intervenes with Weyland's project here. I carry Tequila here on time but Weyland cuts off the power for her surgical operation thus i take her to hibernation chamber even though i'm more than willing to shoot her forehead so she's safe for now. With our mothership blown (because of Predator mothership's attack) and our transport ship is beyond repair, out only way out of this planet is to call Weyland's personal dropship from his executive datapad and he's currently still alive (!), inside of the pyramid. Soldier_negativevocalization06.wav  

 

Eventually i fight the Matriarch but aren't Queen and Matriarch supposed to be same? I already kill The Queen in furnace so the answer is not. Anyway, she's tougher than any Xenomorph but also bigger target. As long as you can run away from her & her friends and not get cornered, you will be fine. Plus keep chucking them with leads.

Much later...    

 

Before i can go to inner part of pyramid, i have to fight group of Xenomorphs plus bigger ones. But i'm not alone as i can activate this abandoned sentry. I don't know much about lore in Alien universe. For example, what's with Smartgun? Why it's called "smart"? Does it have dozen of PhDs?  Maybe because it has ability to track down enemies. My aim is automatically adjusted to enemies on aim box but how does it work in real life? Does the gun take control of your arms? Creepy! Nevertheless smartgun is gun to mow down aliens well but it requires 2 weapon slots to equip which mean you have to ditch any other weapon except the handgun with unlimited bullet.

 

Finally, i get to see the bastard personally and also myself. I can't see my own face up until now. I manage to point my gun at him but some combat android which has ability to cloak, sneak behind me and point his gun at the back of my head. But some tremor happens and i can free from gun point. Typical Hollywood scenario. Horde of Xenomorph and their leaders? It's okay. Predator hunter with advanced technology? No problem. But it's huge problem when i encounter Weyland Yutani's androids. Besides the invisible ability, they carries shotgun that can blast my full health. I can understand if they're able to kill me from very close range but they manage to kill me from medium distance! There's still significant range between me and them. But if i do the same to them, they still survives. The regular android has ridiculous durability but the elite ones has even more annoying durability!

 

The final boss is Weyland Yutani himself but not really. It's his android double. As he carries shotgun, he's bloody annoying as the elite androids albeit without cloaking ability. Most of the time he want to close on me to inflict huge damage at me but somehow i can persuade him to keep his distance when i barrage him with this pitiful rifle. Come to think of it. Why we fighting anyway? I just want his executive datapad to get out of here but he thinks that i want to stop his whatever evil plan that he's working on. But again i don't think he want to hand it voluntarily. He's evil businessman and probably stingy ones too.  

 

In shocking twist (but you probably can predict it), he sneaks up on me after he's defeated. We roll along the stair and he (conveniently) stand in front of lava pit. Katya told me to shoot his head (just in case), so i do that. See that white blood? He's android for sure. Once get shot, he falls to lava pit and perish...for sure. I was half-expecting he will gives me thumb up  as he drowns but no. He just die miserably.

 

We successfully board the Weyland's own private without having trouble with the pilots that probably asking where Weyland Yutani whereabouts because -you know-  the dropship is supposed to be exclusive for him. While 3 of us are currently in hibernation tube, one of the pilots take the datapad and transfer its content to real Weyland Yutani which reveals to be the coordinates of Xenomorph home planet. Duhn Dun Duuuun! But he probably will be disappointed that i have hunted down all Xenomorph on their turf in previous Aliens Vs Predator.  

 

Rebellion's Aliens Vs Predator (2010) is decent FPS game in my opinion. The gameplay works all around. Usually melee in FPS is badly executed or inaccurate but in this game it's quite fine and predictable. Alien role is heavily rely on melee although he can whip his tail for more ranged attack. Predator role is balance between melee and range which means the best role in my opinion. Human role is pretty much basic FPS. Probably good thing about being marine is: you can ignore the Rock-Paper-Scissor system of melee combat but there's bit of it implementation there. Pulse rifle and handgun are blockable. Shotgun, flamethrower, and smartgun bypass block. I consider shotgun as the best weapon to slay Xenomorphs. It can kills alien with single shot at close range. But remember that alien's blood is acid that can hurt human. Most of the time, they will explode if hit by shotgun blast and can instantly kill you. Flamethrower also make them explode and can't make them flinched so it's probably the riskiest weapon but i like it because i'm Pyro. The strategy that i can come up with: burn them for awhile then run back and use handgun from afar. The burn which inflict damage over time, can help finish them in safe distance. Every marine's weapon has alternative function. Handgun alternate is: semi-auto burst. Flamethrower alternate is: spread oil which -to be honest- i don't know its function. Shotgun alternate is: double shot, just like shotgun in Area 51. Pulse rifle alternate is: grenade launcher. Smart gun alternate is: switch between manual or auto aim. Shooting aliens right in their head could be critical strike but their head is "covered" when they block. The voice acting is pretty good. The graphic is fairly great. The story is quite believable.

Aliens Vs Predator (2010) is quite decent Aliens Vs Predator game. People may prefer the 2000 version but i can recommend you to play this one. The main reason is the stealth kill and the finisher move of predator. I mean come on! You like to see Predator break an alien rib with his knee, don't you.

No comments:

Post a Comment