Tuesday 2 July 2024

Marvel VS. Capcom 2 (PS 2)

I decide to make special review on hundredth basis. But what I consider special may not suit to your expectation so don’t get your hopes up too much. The 100th review is about Kancolle the movie. The 200th is Vampire Survivor but that doesn’t count because it’s just another session of me trying new game. To redeem my fault, I decide to review Capcom’s Marvel VS. Capcom – New Age of Heroes (2002) on PS 2 as the 250th review. 

I don’t think I need you to introduce you what Marvel Versus Capcom 2 is. It’s the sequel of first Marvel Versus Capcom, which considered critically acclaimed crossover fighting game. It’s very ambitious to pit Marvel’s superheroes and villains with Capcom various characters. Marvel Versus Capcom 2 is said to trigger the birth of MUGEN, the generally known indie fighting game where anyone can put any character on the roster. It’s one of famous fighting game on professional tournament besides Street Fighter 2. Despite the fame, I heard that Marvel Versus Capcom 2 has terrible balance on its roster but that doesn’t stop Capcom to make more game of its series.

Why I choose PS 2 version? First, because I can set more macro than Dreamcast version due to difference in controller’s layout (i.e. more buttons). Macro is term for a button with function of combination (e.g. light punch + weak kick, light punch + strong punch). Second, I still can’t get my arcade emulator to play this game since 2006 (when I first heard about this game) so I resort to easier emulator.

Another reason why I review this game today because Marvel versus Capcom collection will be released for Switch and Steam this year (supposedly)! It also includes The Punisher too for some reason.   


On main menu there’s arcade mode, versus mode, training mode, (setting) options, etc. Pretty standard for the console port of an arcade game. There’s also secret factor which is menu to unlock character, stage or alternative custom color by spending points which can be earned by completing a game. Or even finishing a training session!

So, here’s my team: Sentinel, Cable, and Captain Commando. Something that I learn from competitive match of this game is you need at least 1 zoner or shoto clone in your group. So, I pick Sentinel because he’s zoner and Cable because he’s shoto clone. I think Captain Commando also zoner but he has decent melee capability. One thing you can learn about me is I like Sentinel and I even consider him righteous which makes me mutant hater. So don’t expect me to play any X-men related games. Even if I do, you will hear me badmouthing mutants a lot during process. Thinking how mutants are huge anomaly mistake that plague humanity and they need to be purged. Come to think of it that’s kind of similar thinking of Space Marine in Warhammer 40K.          

After selecting each of your character, you will have to choose 3 assist types that the selected character will perform. First type usually projectile or any other form of ranged attack. Second type usually anti-air attack. Third type is something special or outside of character’s main special move like Ryu’s Tatsumaki (Tornado Kick) or Jill Valentine giving green herb to current fighter!


First match is against war machine and Captain Commando kick him in the face with fiery kick of justice! Medic_sf12_badmagic05.wav

The main control is pretty typical. Joystick to move around. Square for light punch. Triangle for heavy punch. Cross for light kick. Circle for Heavy kick. You probably notice at this point that there’s absence of button for medium attack which separates this game from other Capcom’s fighting game. There’s reason for that and that’s for assist buttons. Unlike in prequel games where the fighter’s group consist of 2 fighters, this game employ 3 fighters on the group so it requires 2 assist buttons. In first Marvel versus Capcom or Marvel Super Heroes versus Street Fighter, there’s 2 fighters in the group thus requires only 1 assist button which is pressing both medium punch and medium kick. Now the game ditches medium attack buttons and replaced them with 2 assist buttons. 

 

Naturally you can unleash special and super moves. Captain Commando’s special moves are simple. Using either quarter-circle forward or backward and pressing either punch or kick. So, there’s total 4 special moves. For example: Captain’s kick performed with quarter circle backward motion and then pressing kick button. It’s useful to knock away enemy or catching them off guard. Then there’s this super move called Captain’s Sword where he calls his commando teammates to unleash huge beam. Such is power of superhero friendship. It’s executed with quarter circle forward motion and the press light punch and strong punch. Naturally, super move requires at least 1 level of super bar (on bottom of the screen) and you fill it by fighting.  

 

I’m not sure what’s Shuma-Gorath or what’s his lore. But I reckon this alien with tentacle limbs can be considered “mutant” and Sentinel can handle him. The thing with Sentinel if you don’t know about him before, that his heavy normal attack is projectile like this mouth laser. Believe it or not, it’s Sentinel’s normal crouching heavy punch.

 

By the time Cable and Wolverine about to clash, the timer runs out. Sniper_jeers01.wav

I forgot to tell you how to switch fighter. It’s done by pressing both light punch and light kick or both strong punch and strong kick. Which character that you switch depends on the order. The only way you can arrange the order is from the select screen. Unlike any SNK’s King of Fighters, you can’t change order to add more strategy’s layer. Perhaps it’s intended to make the game faster although arranging group’s order is pretty brisk in King of Fighters.

 

But then there’s top score display between the matches which certainly slowing the game’s pace. Also, I don’t think I want to keep track of my score in the list frequently. Unless I want to reach World’s record for top score or something which is not my thing to do.  

 

Next opponent is Jill, Hulk, and Thanos. Jill is easily defeated. Chris “The Boulder Puncher” Redfield doesn’t like to hear that, I bet. At the moment Captain Commando sends his Captain’s fire right in the Hulk’s face. I sure hope Hulk weak to fire otherwise Captain Commando will get Hulk’s smash moment later.   

 

Pick on someone your own size, Hulk. Here comes, Sentinel! Maybe Hulk is not weak to fire but he feels pain when squadron of mini sentinel charge through him.

 

Hulk managed to tag with Thanos. Never knew Hulk is this coward. I mentioned before that Sentinel’s main gimmick that he has normal move that close to special move. Like this heavy kick where he lifts his leg while releasing grenades. This kick is anti-air move, I suppose. This explosive kick is used to be medium kick in X-Men Children of the Atom but since MvsC 2 deploy no medium attack, it’s relocated to heavy kick. With 4 attack buttons configuration, controlling Sentinel becomes easier and more doable than in his first debut in X-Men CotA. I really appreciate this 4-attack buttons scheme.

 

Another thing that changes from Sentinel movelist are the super moves. In X-Men CotA, Sentinel only has 1 super move. In MvsC 2, he has 3 now! First super move is this big short blast from his arm. It used to emit projectiles back in the day but now this super move only intended for short range. However, the super input is easier now. Second ones, is where he calls squadrons of mini sentinel that I did on Hulk. This super is effectively intended for projectile super move. Third ones, is done in mid-air where he charges forward strongly.

By the way, this is how Avengers: Endgame should end. Thanos is blasted by Sentinel along with those stupid infinity stones and dies. Sentinel is hailed as humanity’s hero and later he leads project to erase all mutants in earth. Happy end.  

 

Later on, Captain Commando and his friends obliterate Sakura Kasugano with huge laser of superhero friendship. This is why you don’t skip school, kids. It’s better for you to study diligently at school than getting huge superhero laser to your face because you don’t attend class regularly as should be.

 

Iceman here is pretty formidable foe. I heard that he’s top tier in both MvsC 2 and X-Men CotA because he’s zoner with high ability to make long punishing combo. I know Iceman is mutant thus he’s supposed to be Sentinel’s business but Cable needs some spotlight too. Besides, his super laser is pretty good.

 

Next opponent is Ruby Heart, the original character for this game. She’s pirate with flying ship (of course) who summons Marvel’s and Capcom’s casts to save the world. That doesn’t sound like what pirate does. She should seek treasures like B. Jennet from Garou –Mark of The Wolves, does. Just saying.

 

Ruby Heart is out but Omega Red is currently thrashing Sentinel. It’s not easy being giant anti-mutant robot, you know? Omega Red is pretty interesting fighter. He throws cables like zoner basically does however he can use it to throw his opponent. So, he’s zoner but with bit element of grappler. I also heard is top tier too in X-Men CotA.

 

Ha! How the table has turned, you damned mutant! Try use super move next time. Your super meter is full.  

 

Hayato is the last one on the group but the timer is out already! Perhaps it’s good call as Sentinel’s dealing mutants and not some Luke Skywalker’s substitute space samurai. I think the default timer is too short. I should change it in option setting next time I play.

 

I really like the difference cloth between both Captain Commando before transformation here. My Captain wears sharp suit while enemy’s wear cowboy cloth.  

 

Captain Commando can summon his friend for super laser. But he can also summon his friend in the group for combination super move! Can you see the friendship between beat em up Superhero, mutant that’s infected with Techno-organic virus, and anti-mutant terminator? I don’t blame you if you can’t see it.  

It’s executed by pressing both assist buttons. The cost depends on available fighters. It costs 3 levels of super bar if all of the fighters on the group still alive. It costs 1 less level of super bar if one of the fighters defeated. It goes without saying that the combination super is weaker if one fighter on the group is defeated. I think the input is too easy for this super combination. In first MvsC, it’s more elaborated input: quarter circle forward and pressing both strong punch and kick buttons.

 

Tron Bonne sends giant servbot to hit Sentinel with toy hammer but he’s nowhere as big as the mighty sentinel. I’m not impressed.

 

Time for two captain collides. On this corner, iconic nationalist Marvel’s superhero: Captain America. On the other corner, failed to be Capcom’s mascot and the protagonist of pretty average beat ‘em up game: Captain Commando. However, the time is out, again!      


Next opponent is Sonson, which Capcom refer her name as brand of 24-hours convenience store. Apparently, she’s a daughter of Sun Wukong from Capcom’s very old and obscured game.


Wow. She can turn into angry giant monkey like Son Goku in Dragon Ball. I’m impressed.

 

She’s not the only one who can shoot beam from mouth. Sentinel can do that too as his crouching heavy punch. Wait a moment! I remember in X-Men CotA, his crouching heavy punch is launching slow rocket from his mouth. So, this is upgrade. Brilliant!

 

The I win via time out again. I’m sorry that I don’t have enough pro-competitive skill to finish my opponents in time. But on the bright side, I don’t think Spidey can handle Sentinel and Sentinel doesn’t take seriously fighting non-mutant opponent.

 

Who wear the red shade better here? I heard Cyclops is unlikable X-Men character. So, I bet my money you would say Captain Commando. 

Look at that poor Sentinel getting ganked by damned mutants. No wonder mutants are deserved to be purged.

 

On the same match, Cable murder his father with giant laser but not coming from eyes. Cyclops dies as he lives. With giant laser.

 

Cable also defeated Marrow who I thought is a villain because she doesn’t look like good person. I don’t know why Cable’s victory pose is Techno-organic virus takes control Cable’s arm. But he will be fine for next match.


Our next opponent is this original villain character named “Abyss” which is pretty generic name. I assume Capcom use original character as the main villain in this game due to economic budget or just because the protagonist (Ruby Heart) also original character. I want to see Capcom’s villain in next Marvel versus Capcom. Like -I don’t know- Genocide/Scumocide from Captain Commando, Pluto from Battle Circuit, or Gill from Street Fighter 3, I guess?   

 

Abyss is pushy. He uses his immunity to knock back to push me into corner and then bombard me with this super that has similar function with Blackheart’s Armageddon. If you look closely, Abyss doesn’t have filled super bar. He can just do super move whatever he likes. He’s one of cheating boss in fighting game.

 

Another his super move is shooting giant beam. He can do that in distance but no. He insists does that in point-blank range. He reminds me of final boss in previous Marvel versus Capcom: Onslaught, a lot. But because he like to get close to you, you can hit him pretty easily but you have to block a lot.

 

With just a sliver of health left, Captain Commando manage to defeat Abyss. He and his team do victory pose but sadly Ninja Commando (ShĹŤ) is barely seen in the corner. Blame Abyss who pushed me to the corner, ShĹŤ.

 

Of course, the final boss fight is not over. Much like Onslaught, Abyss has multi phases for each round he’s defeated. As his armor torn apart, Abyss revealed to be sinister goop humanoid that can shoot laser and flame. Once in a while, he summons these bubbles that can trap his enemies, making them unable to do any action. Fortunately for me, Sentinel is immune being trapped into these giant bubbles. Who would think an anti-mutant robot excels at fighting Darkness villain?

 

Not the laser beam! Just a little bit more.

 

There you go! Fight fire with fire. I give you laser blast after yours. We’re even, now!

 

The Abyss dissolve into giant red goop beast! You may think, Abyss become titanic meaning he’s easy to hit. But he like to dissolve into the ground and appears off-screen! When he does appear on my screen, he won’t stay for long. Also, any of his attacks can’t be interrupted.

 

Abyss’ super moves are either conjure lava snakes that fly vertically or he turn into lava snake and then flies across the screen horizontally. Soldier_sf13_magic_reac01.wav

I can continue with the same team but I decide to change my team for the sake of variation. My new team is: 1) Ryu, I know he’s the father of all Shoto-clone but I kind of reluctant to make his my main nowadays because he’s boring. Vanilla kind of boring. 2) Iron Man, because he’s my 2nd most favourite Marvel’s Superhero. The first ones is The Punisher. 3) Lastly, there’s the original character and the summoner of all the crossover characters: Ruby Heart. She should help us defeating Abyss instead of twiddling her thumbs (after being defeated by Cable and Co.).

In my opinion, one of thing that you should consider regarding picking your characters is the synergy between them when using the combination super moves. In this case, Iron Man and Ryu shoot giant beam which are similar and very efficient if combined. As for Ruby’s, she summons her ship to attack her opponent with giant blade attached to its bow which can only reaches 50% of the screen. It goes without saying that’s the super is only efficient for the combination super move if the opponent is within half of the screen. But overall, this super combination can work pretty well.

 

We have better situation here unlike with Cable and Co. where each member defeated on every round. Here, all of our team still available. Not for long though, Iron Man is defeated by the blasted lava snake. I hate those Abyss’ snakes.

Generally, it’s good idea to switch your fighter every so often so your fighters can regenerate their health when they’re in substitute bench. But only red portion of the missing health bar that can be recovered.

 

Finally, we come out triumphant. Although Iron Man was out, he has to be in victory photoshoot so he can brag about it to other member of Avengers. The smug git


Then credit rolls along with ending slides which run for every character. Unlike in previous Marvel versus Capcom where you fighters get specific ending, but not in this game. I know the reason is due to oversized roster but still I want to point out the uniform ending.

So, Ruby carelessly throws away the darkness orb which -I think- the source of Abyss. This could be proven fatal. But since we never heard Abyss on next Marvel versus Capcom and beyond, my worry is unproven. I hope.

 

While others having happy photo shoot. However, Hulk and Strider don’t like have photo session with Venom because no one likes Venom. Joke on my big brother, he mains Venom.

 

Only Cable who is concerned about the darkness orb and he’s the only one who dare to talk about it to Ruby. But Ruby just looks away like some kids caught red-handed stealing cookies from their mom. On the other hand, Cable is pretty sensible person.

 

I’m not done yet. Let’s take a look at secret factor. As you can see, it only contains 3 unlockable options which are randomly generated everytime you enter/exit the secret factor. Not only unlockable character, you can also unlock new color or stage in this menu. I remember the chance to unlock Sentinel is very rare. I wish the unlockables are fully displayed and can be unlocked at once like in Capcom versus SNK in Playstation 1. 

 

Most of characters in roster, are taken from Capcom’s previous games including Anakaris. The reason for that is to save the budget from making new character from zero. It may sound not creative but I like refinement they did for those characters. Sentinel become easier to control and Anakaris has this new wacky super move where he turns big and attacking enemies by flailing his hands around with punch and kick button. Sadly, it doesn’t last for long. Let’s end this here.


Travelling toward sunset. How cliché.

Capcom’s Marvel VS. Capcom – New Age of Heroes (2002) is very famous fighting game and fun to play too. Although I can’t say that for certain if you play competitively. Plus, I love game with crossover characters. It’s quite weird to me to work on 4 attack buttons instead of usual 6 buttons for making chain of normal attacks. But thanks to less attack buttons, controlling Sentinel become easier and I appreciate it. I’m quite certain the core of team fight is adapted from SNK’s King of Fighter but faster. Although it lacks the rearranging order of the members which is useful for strategic gameplay. I feel like the Capcom’s side of the roster is the least interesting because most of them are from Street Fighter that we know for very long time and they need improvement to compete with Marvel’s casts. For example: Ryu the father of all shoto clone, he’s too vanilla. His punch and kick are too short for the size of screen in this game. It seems very risky to make him engage in melee combat so I resort to play as him defensively: Throw Hadou Ken often and prepare for Shouryu Ken or Tatsumaki Senpukyaku when enemy closing in. Most Capcom’s casts are lower tier than Marvel’s casts. Then Doctor Doom and Magneto dominate everyone. So, the roster’s balance is quite bad. People may correct me on this one. Although the roster’s balance is in questionable quality, the game still fun nevertheless. I mean, come on! Who doesn’t want to see Avenger’s member fighting Street Fighter characters, huh? I have said that the Capcom’s roster is mostly filled with Street Fighter characters. But thankfully it’s also filled with cast from Darkstalker which you won’t see the game getting resurrected or something. Then there’s random Capcom character such as Tron Bonne from Megaman Legend, Hayato from Star Gladiator, or Jill Valentine from Resident Evil. The assist system is more complex and in-depth in exchange of random cameo assist in previous MvsC. Speaking of cameo, there’s lack of cameo in background unlike other Capcom’s fighting game which is fairly disappointing. In MvsC 2, you get clocktower stage which feels bland compared to Scarlet Devil Mansion/Koumakan in Touhou Project 7.5: Immaterial and Missing Power. Or you got deck on Ruby’s flying ship or Amusement park with giant awful clown face. Who want to get to that kind of amusement park anyway? Whereas in MvsC 1, you get Dr. Willy Fortress or Avenger’s base as fighting stage. Fighting Abyss is tedious but quite enjoyable or at least not as bad as Gill from Street Fighter 3 who can resurrect himself after defeated. The sound effect is standard good for Capcom’s game. While the music is good but most of them are relaxing unlike in previous MvsC which has many spirited OST.

 

It goes without saying that you have to play MvsC 2 at least once if you haven’t played it at all. I recommend you buy the upcoming collection on Switch, PS4, or Steam because there will be lots of improvement over any version. I hope. :p

PS: if you happen to have a match with random using Sentinel, Cable, and Captain Commando. That most likely me. :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment