Thursday, 1 October 2026

Fate/Extra (PSP) - Part 2

Previously, Werdito Izenger a student in Tsukumihara Academy follows his classmate and transfer student into a dead end that connect to a maze. Suddenly, he’s being attacked by evil manakin. Werdito has manakin that fight the evil one but to no avail. He ends up dead. However, legend spirit of magician with fox ear and tail, comes to rescue him and take a revenge on the evil manakin. Disembodied voice says “Let the Holy Grail Wars begins” and Werdito collapses…     

I have a dream about burning city that may or may not be Fuyuki City, where Fate/Stay Night takes place. Then there’s a glimpse of participant number: 128 persons.

 

I wake up in infirmary. This is almost like in the beginning of Final Fantasy VIII. Instead of Dr. Kadowaki, Tamamo besides me in the bed which makes the game 100% better than FF VIII. Throwing around curse words should be my alley and not yours, Caster. Or by curse you mean incantation that bring misery, misfortune, etc. If that’s the case, I can’t do such a curse.

 

I joked about Sakura being Terminator in disguise. But I didn’t expect Sakura introduce herself as AI. #NoGenAI  

 

Sakura gave me Portable Terminal. Now my option menu is more than just to manage my game progress. It has status option, item option, etc.

 

There’s a room below 1st floor. It’s called Commissary but it won’t open in prologue. What the heck is this shopkeeper saying? There’s no money in hell.

 

The shop sells durable gym cloth. Since Master is assumed has no HP at all. The cloth only boosts MP by 50. My current school uniform boosts my MP by 10. But I don’t have magic to cast so I don’t need to boost my MP yet. You can also buy breads to fill master’s MP and ether to fill servant’s HP here.

To make progress on plot, I have to meet Rin again in rooftop. She touched my cheek and then she turns around. It looks like her servant calls her pervert because she touched my cheek. Good thing she only touch my cheek and not go beyond of that. Tamamo surely not happy with that. I wonder what’s Rin’s servant now since the player is given choice to pick The Archer which is her servant in Fate/Stay Night.

 

So, Ti- I mean Ms. Fujimura is here too. How nice of you to pronounce my name that most likely strange to say it loud. Ms. Fujimura here wants me to bring her kendo sword that left in place called The Arena and apparently only student can get there.

 

The priest Kotomine Kirei which is located near Ms. Tiger, tells me that The Arena is open. To get to The Arena, I must go to the same dead end on 1st floor like in the prologue. Apparently, The Arena is dungeon like in common RPG.   

Near the entrance there’s a fountain that restore HP and MP to the fullest for free. In fact, there are 3 of it in this floor. That feels generous.

 

Poor Tamamo. He gets headache because of low health. But don’t worry, I will use healing item on her. Pressing square button will bring skill/item use menu. There’s 3 tabs on the menu: 1) Code Cast, which is Master’s skill cast. 2) Skill, which is Servant’s skill cast. 3) Item, which is item use. You change the with L/R shoulder button. I can only use item/skill once for whole turn.

 

Maybe you’re curious what happens, if servant and the enemy take the same action. This happens. They both take damage with “-EVEN- Equal Bloodshed” message. It’s funny if both servant and enemy take Guard action as they take no damage just blocking and “equal bloodshed” message becomes irrelevant.     

 

Tamamo comments how I look happy when I find tre- I mean Item Folder. Everyone is happy when they find treasure chest in RPG. It’s common thing, my servant.   

 

After achieving level 3, fighting this unit of 2 blocks connected with spring called Klein, becomes easier. I know its pattern: break, break, attack, break, break, and attack. So, I tell Tamamo to: attack, attack, guard, attack, attack, and guard. So, she can counter all of the enemy’s actions. However, I notice that enemies have more than 1 pattern of action. At least 2 patterns. So, this enemy may change its action pattern where it sometime guard instead of break.

Tamamo warns me to avoid fighting with hornet enemy, so I decide to retreat to the spot where we came from. Besides, I’m running out of healing item. Then we move on to a classroom for today’s evaluation. Servant also has something to say in this phase. After that, we move on to next day.

 

On the next day, it’s revealed who’s my first competitor. It’s none other than the douchebag Shinji Matou. I don’t mind defeating him even though Kotomine said that the defeated participant will be erased. That means dead, right?   

 

Speaking of Kotomine, he now informs me that I need key that generated in each floor. There are total of 2 keys. If participant fails to get these keys, they will be disqualified. The purpose of this procedure is: culling the weak, as he said.

 

I visit the library for no reason. Oh look! It’s reference to Twilight. Anyway, let’s move on to dungeon. Once I’m in the dungeon, I can’t go back to the peaceful school unless I exit the dungeon which costs a day.

 

This quite surprises me. Shinji along with his servant is inside the dungeon as I try to level up. So, you get the key. Good for you. :/   

 

Apparently, Shinji’s servant has ability to dab while shooting her pistols. Good to know. Obviously, we can’t win this fight yet. However, the great system SE.RA.PH prohibits fight before the real match. So, this battle will be cut after 3 turns.  

 

We sustain heavy damage but we have slight information on Shinji’s servant. Information about enemy’s servant is crucial because it helps to win the battle. “Knowing is half the battle” as cartoon GI Joe said. I show you this tutorial screen to prove that the Saber in this game, is Nero Claudius and not Artoria Pendragon. Tamamo suggests to search for school and arena to find more information regarding Shinji’s servant.

Back to fighting lesser enemy. I encounter new enemy that looks like belong to Bayonetta because it has wings like Angel’s. We have hard time fighting this creature but level up we had help this fight a bit. After several encounter with enemies of this type. I learn that they don’t use/have break action and they like to block often. So, it’s futile to use attack action against them.

 

I find rare treasure: Phoenix scarf! When I wear it, I have ability to cast heal. Finally, I can use my MP. Apparently, I can only wear 2 accessories at the time and they don’t change my appearance. Cosmetic change is not important but it will be nice if it exist for wholesomeness. This healing magic claimed to heal servant’s HP slightly however, it’s stronger than the healing item Ether shard. The heal recovers 400 hit points which exceeds Tamamo’s current max HP. Meanwhile, Ether shard heals HP by 200 which is precisely the half healing done by the healing magic.

 

Finally, we find Ms. Tiger’s shinai. Sadly, I can’t equip it or anything. It just key item. I will return this tomorrow.

 

Finally, we obtain one of the key cards. Tamamo kindly reminds me that there’s one more key card to get but it’s not in dungeon. I notice that there’s exit just up ahead. However, it doesn’t lead to next floor like in other RPG. The exit is just there to end the dungeon exploring. I can beat more enemies since they respawn within certain period. But other than that, I have nothing left to do.

Next day

Shinji and Rin are having conversation. Shinji accidentally spills information on his servant with keyword “Invincible Armada”. Obviously, Rin appreciate the leak. Shinji is panic while saying that’s probably lie made by him but Rin doesn’t believe that. I look up at the library and find out that Invincible Armada is the name given to the Spanish Navy during Age of Exploration. That’s not much information but the information matrix levels up by 1 regardless.   

 

Back to the dungeon. I notice something different. Usually, the enemy called Klein aggressive toward our position but not this time. Apparently, it’s because we’re higher level than it. Oh, yes. I forget to tell you that, the enemies are visible. There’s no invisible random encounter in this game. Yes. I’m aware that Tamamo running with Naruto’s style.

 

I think we’re ready to face the hornet monster. I dislike to see my foxy wife getting hit but it’s inevitable. Every new encounter always risky because I have to learn enemy’s pattern from the beginning. Only 1 enemy’s action is revealed and that’s not helpful. After several encounter, I learn that this hornet monster called Crix, never guard. So, don’t bother using break against this schmuck.

 

But we can defeat the blasted hornet back then. Is that how fox sleeps? The position doesn’t look ergonomic, in my opinion.

 

On the next day, Leo introduces his servant: Gawain, one of Knight of The Round Table. I thought he’s Lancelot what’s with him being knight in fancy getup. I didn’t know there’s another flamboyant knight in the rank of Knight of The Round Table. Regardless, Leo deliberately reveals his servant identity probably out of generosity or fair sportsmanship.   

 

On the other hand, Shinji Matou takes all the books that contain information related to his servant and hide them in dungeon. Isn’t that library thievery? What the librarian doing until now? That’s clearly violation to library rule. I also meet Leo in library. He reveals shocking information: Kotomine and Ms. Tiger are NPC! Whaaaaat? :O

 

Speaking of the devil, here’s Kotomine himself tells me that new floor of dungeon has just opened by now. He also tells me that now I’m allowed to go to chapel in order to make my servant stronger.  As for Ms. Tiger, she’s happy that I return her shinai but she asks me for another favor. This time she wants tangerine that happen to be in 2nd floor of the dungeon. My brain immediately thinks of 2022 movie “Bullet Train” whenever I heard tangerine.

 

Inside the chapel, I find rare wonder of Aozaki sisters being together in the same place! Even though they like to bicker each other. It’s kind of long digress to explain who are Aozaki sisters so I try to make it short. Basically, Tohko Aozaki the big sister on the left, is from Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinner and Aoko Aozaki the little sister on the right, is from Tsukihime or Melty Blood. Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinner, Fate/Stay Night, and Tsukihime take place in same universe. These sisters don’t get along well and separated from each other. I think Aoko stole Tohko’s glasses that later given to protagonist of Tsukihime, Shiki Tohno.

Hey! Don’t call her useless like C:\ prompt which is handy to fix things in my laptop!

 

Now, I can allocate those skill points that I got from leveling up we did. Leveling up alone, only increase HP and MP, not servant’s stats. So, what are these stats about.

1)     Strength, increase damage inflicted. Fair enough.

2)     Defense, decrease damage taken. Also, fair.

3)     Agility, stabilize damage stats, raises skill speed. This is confusing. Critical resistance, maybe? Plus, skill cast’s priority order.

4)     Magic, raises magic ability, lower damage from magic. This is quite easy to understand. It increases skill’s damage and also decrease magic skill’s damage taken.

5)     Luck, raises critical hit rate and defense when in jeopardy. This bit tricky to understand. It increases critical chance and defense when low health.

It takes quite long time to know what should I do after distributing the skill points. I’m supposed to hit that small button of” Initiate Alteration” to confirm the stats distribution. It’s relatively unique that Tamamo will get her first skill after I invest total 10 skill points. Her first skill is: Fiery Heaven that deal magic damage and inflict stun if enemy’s action is break.

 

On the level 2 dungeon, there’s laser grid that blocks our way. I’m supposed to search for the switch that deactivate it.

 

So far, the most dangerous enemy is this horned monster. I want to say this fight is bullcrap but I can learn his pattern which is: he doesn’t do same action twice in a row, 3 first actions and 3 last actions are exactly 3 different actions.

 

Did I say that encounter new enemy always dangerous? Because it is. Since, I have to learn enemy’s pattern from the square one. Eventually, enemy can get the extra hit quite easily which is very bad. Once your servant’s HP reaches zero, you instantly get game over screen in your face. The battle in the dungeon is very relentless and you can’t save your game inside the dungeon which seems atrocious situation. However, I can use save/load state. :P   

 

Suddenly, Tamamo teaches me about secret path. We can pass through this fake wall that connected to the room over there!  There are 2 chests over there 1 contains logbook of old ship and the other contains saint monocle, the equipment that give me ability to look enemy’s information. But somehow, I can’t cast the magic even though I equip the damn monocle

 

We have another fight with Shinji after we discover the logbook. This time, he uses skill that reduce Tamamo’s luck. How dare him!

Shinji retreats again. From the fight, Tamamo learns that Shinji’s servant is from Rider class because she can summon her ship. I can understand servant with specialty riding horse like Alexander the Great, Medusa, or Minamoto no Yoshitsune classified as Rider. But captain of a ship called Rider is stretching thin, in my opinion.

 

I can’t use some item and magic while not in combat. I try use item from the pause menu but I can’t do it because the item menu there is just to show me how many items that I have. Turns out, I can use item outside of combat with simple press of square button. So, there’s no dead end unless I have no more healing item. Actually, Tamamo already told me about this, way back on the first time on the dungeon. I admire her patience toward her dense husband here. Her patience is as big as…her fox tail. Yeah.

 

Now I can use the scan magic called view_status. I don’t think it’s that helpful because it only reveals enemy’s level however the magic last quite long so I can see more than 1 enemy’s level. The bull monster is level 8? Our level just got 6. No wonder, he’s tough bastard.

Next Day…

 

Apparently, class 2-2 is our private room which located right besides our class 2-1! Not sure what’s the point I go to this room. Maybe just to have chat with the lovely fox. She said that she can’t reveal her true name even though I know her name from the wiki. Her reason is because various rules and T-Regulation. When I ask what is T-Regulation, she puts witty smirk. It’s something to prevent taboo things go haywire. So basically, Parental Guide rule or something like that.

I have theory regarding why Type-Moon the franchise owner must abide to this rule. Fate/Stay Night is where the turning point happens. It’s the franchise which Type-Moon become more popular because of Servant that taken from various legend such as Artoria, Hercules, and Medusa. So, Type-Moon slowly obeys to the rule in order to grow their business to be more popular. Their first step is manga and anime adaptation that slightly more family-friendly. The original form of FSN is graphic novel. It doesn’t contain brutal gore violent like Tsukihime that tells the story of murder cases done by vampires with protagonist assassin that capable of slicing anyone into seventeen parts. However, FSN contains fornification scenes for the sake of transferring mana from master to servant. In anime adaptation, fornification scene is replaced with sleeping together. In manga adaptation, it’s slightly more vulgar. It’s replaced with sleeping together too but both master and servant must be topless. Eventually, Fate franchise reaches the peak of popularity with Fate/Grand Order.

 

I like to go to the dungeon again to get the second key. However, Shinji seals the door to the dungeon with 2 seals. First seal is in the infirmary’s door and the second one is on his own desk. Suddenly, Tamamo tells me that I can fast travel by pressing square button. Heavy_thanks01.wav

Not satisfies with the entrance sabotage, Shinji challenges me to race on collecting treasures that he spawns. For each collected treasure, it makes his servant stronger. Clearly, we can’t allow him to hog all the treasure. There are total of 5 treasures to collect. He runs first which clearly cheating thus he manage to collect 2 of them. Plus enemies don't attack him for some reason. To explain how I win, I have to bring the map layout on top of view of me traverse the dungeon. I hope you don’t mind. I like to bring map on top of playfield like in Torchlight 2 so I can navigate the area easier. To bring this map, simply pressing "select" button. The map allow you to see chests. Also enemies but only within certain range. 

The cyan arrow is us. The red arrow is Shinji and his servant. There’s branching road ahead. He picks the south path because there’s one treasure but the path has dead end. So, I walk the north path where the remaining 3 treasures ahead. I should win this race.

 

Eventually, we fight again. Once the battle is over, Shinji just gives up the race so I win rather easily. However, I’m not done with the dungeon exploring yet. I have to obtain the key card. I got it eventually even though Tamamo has to fight 3 Cluster Horns consecutively. We also got the tangerine inside the chest.

Next Day (again)

Today is the day the fight between participants of Holy Grail War. There’s no NPC to talk around here because they’re on the match. To complete the information matrix regarding enemy’s servant, I have to go to my room and discuss it with my vulpine wife. Oh, shoot. It was multiple-choices quiz. First and second question are easy to answer. First question is about what vehicle recorded in the logbook. Second question is about what thing that Shinji hides in the dungeon. The last question is straight what’s the identity of Shinji’s servant. Darn! I barely know these names. Luckily, I can repick the answer if I pick the wrong one. So, the correct answer is Francis Drake. It doesn’t ring a bell to me. Not at all.

You may think “Shouldn’t Francis Drake male and not female?” In case you don’t get the hint, that’s the common thing with Fate franchise. Some or maybe most of servants have their gender changed, from male to female. I wouldn’t say it’s for “Fan service” because some of historical/legend figures that have their gender changed like Artoria Pendragon, Mordred, Jack the Ripper, or Ushiwakamaru (A.K.A Minamoto no Yoshitsune). They have -excuse me- small chest. I think the gender change established to even the gender ratio of servants. If Type-Moon really aim for total “Fan Service”, they all should have big chest. Although Artoria in lancer class, happens to have big chest and -sadly- Ushiwakamaru is practically topless.   

By the way, do you notice the lamps besides Tamamo? They’re reward for giving Ms. Tiger the tangerine we found on dungeon. They’re just decoration, probably. But Tamamo seems liking them so we keep them.

 

Kotomine leads me to this storage room’s door for the competition match. The two key cards that I obtained, fit perfectly into the window’s door. I remember Kuzuki said that I must stay away from storage room but this time I’m allowed.

 

The door becomes elevator. Guess who else in the elevator? None other than Shinji Matou and Francis Drake. He offers me chance to surrender. I refuse and he calls me stupid. Then he suggests Tamamo to talk some sense to me.

 

Thanks to burn Shinji in my stead, Tamamo. Actually, I have no idea why I want to befriend this douchebag. He’s utterly unlikable, much like James O’ Flahearty in Koudelka. If he gets killed in the match, no harm for me.   

 

I like this pre-match quote. Dancing flames are understandable. Decaying earth? Sounds awful. Withered ocean sounds even worse. Earth is 71% ocean. Imagine if it’s withered, earth will never been the same.

 

Francis Drake still has 3,000 hit points. Her action only revealed 2. Even with all that, Tamamo can fight her relatively easy. Not sure because we won the treasure racing or because we got full info matrix on her. I remember the fights before Drake deals substantially bigger damage or I could be wrong. In this fight, Drake deals less damage even though she has chance to cast skill where she boosts her attack power. Just remember to heal your servant more frequently.

 

Drake’s health reach critical and she’s able to summon whole her ship the Golden Hind! On previous fights, she only able some cannons but now entire Golden Hind bombards Tamamo. I’m not sure how to answer enemy’s skill action other than guard. There’s one her skill that can be countered upon Tamamo’s successful guard.

Correction: there’s equipment that allow me to cancel enemy’s skill but I didn’t wear it for this occasion. I still wonder why the foxy wife keeps her patience really high toward her not-bright husband.

 

Eventually, Drake is defeated. Immediately, there’s grid walls separating us. Shinji and Drake’s body slowly consumed with black thing. Reminds me of Miguel by the end of Deception 3, where his body slowly vanished but it’s not as bad as what happen to Shinji. I don’t mean to be heartless. It’s just this all happen in virtual world and Shinji should be fine in real life. It’s hinted by his saying mere seconds ago “I don’t get logged out like this before” then there are more evidences to prove that this Holy Grail War happens in virtual world. We will talk about that later.

 

We retreat then Rin lectures me about the cruel reality of Holy Grail War. Spare me about it, lass! I know this happens in virtual world so the defeated contestants should be fine. While Tamamo sleeps cutely and un-ergonomically, I can review information matrix about Francis Drake in detail. Looking at her story. I feel sense of irony for great vice admiral of English armada called El Draque/The Dragon, only died by Dysentery. But I shouldn’t judge harshly just because I live in era and place with better sanitary condition.    

Next day (again once more)…

 

It’s revealed that my next opponent is this old man called Dan Blackmoore. I think he’s exclusive character to this franchise. He’s honorable person unlike Shinji. There’s thing that I wonder about. In preliminary phase, participants of Holy Grail War, acting as high school students, right? But how about Dan? No way, he’s acting as high school student because he’s too damn old! Maybe he’s acting as janitor or something. By the way, the participant becomes 64 persons. Exactly half of the number from previous phase.

 

I ask Rin about Dan Blackmoore. She said that he’s sniper from kingdom that allied with Harway plutocracy. So, he has some sort connection with Leo. But this is competition between mages with mambo jambo and not about military war with gun. Just saying. Rin complains how unfortunate I am to face Dan and furthermore I still retain my amnesia. But later she’s surprised that I didn’t defeat Shinji using Tamamo’s Noble Phantasm at all. What’s Noble Phantasm? you may ask. Basically, it’s ultimate powerful skill possessed by servant. It’s risky to pull off because it drains huge mana and also it reveals servant’s identity. As you knew that, servant’s identity is crucial to be revealed.

 

There are new items to buy and dungeon to explore. But what’s this? Dan’s servant put tree that poisons anyone but him and his master. However, Dan disagrees with this underhanded trick. The tree indeed poisons us. Tamamo gets like 5 hit points damage per second in exploration and 5 hit points damage per turn in battle. But Tamamo can destroy the tree once we reach it. I like to call it end here.

However, I want to see the identity of Dan’s servant first with wiki. Hey! I just do what Rin told me that I must uncover my opponent’s identity through thorough search. Besides, I still need to search for his identity in-game if I want the benefit. Lets’ see. The poisonous tree is called Yew Tree. There’s no page about it. But I find page about Yew bow. Who wield it? I see. Dan’s servant is the famous Robin Hood! The pictures match with him over there. I find it hard to believe that the righteous Robin Hood uses poison indiscriminately like this. I mean it’s up to Type-Moon to adapt Robin Hood whatever they like but It’s still hard to believe. I mean he steals money from evil lords and give it to the poor. That’s what Robin Hood does. But using poison? Anyway, 2 first opponents in this game are British. Let’s wraps things up.

 

Imageepoch’s Fate/Extra (2011) is unique RPG and part of Fate series. I mean Type-Moon’s Fate and not the Diablo clone with the same name. The gameplay iteration is more believable than Fate Cross or whatever the name, which is fighting game. It’s super absurd to see the weakling protagonist of Fate/Stay Night pitted against the behemoth Berserker. The gameplay is RPG with 1-on-1 battle like Dokapon - Monster Hunter. However, the role is reversed. Instead of doing the support stuff, your companion (servant) does the heavy lifting on the battle. It’s you as their master do the support stuff. The battle also involves guessing enemy’s action. In DMH, you can just ignore the guessing within skill casting with literally rock-paper-scissor mechanism and just go with normal attack or guard. But the guessing gets harder if your opponent has more than 1 dangerous skill. In Fate/Extra, you must guess enemy’s action all the time. However, some enemy’s action revealed to make the battle easier. I’m aware if all of enemy’s action revealed, there will be no meaning/challenge on the gameplay. However, the more you win against the same enemy type the more their action revealed up to 5! That’s already broken. Most of RPG is all about item and turn management. In this game, your perceptiveness also honed. Not only more enemy’s action revealed as I win more battles, but also my mind become accustomed with enemy’s pattern which is very unique in RPG’s battle. I like that healing doesn’t cost turn to attack, meaning I can heal Tamamo while she engages with enemy. No turns wasted when healing. The problem comes from boss battle with enemy’s servant where I can barely understand their pattern. We fight Francis Drake for 3 times including in the official match and I still can’t see her pattern. Maybe something like she blocks or attacks on first turn and she prefers break over attack. That’s my crude guess. But the boss fight runs quite well, surprisingly.

The game has deadline but has comforting limit with what I can do. For example: I have to obtain 2 key cards within 7 days but 2nd floor dungeon where the 2nd key card located, only open on 4th day. I want to get all the key card within 3 days but the game doesn’t allow that, like speak “take it easy, bud!” to me. There’s option in pause menu where you can restart the whole week if you feel like you are not optimal enough running through the 7 days. Money (with unit’s name: ppt) is quite easy to get and hard to spend on, strangely. Maybe that only happens in first chapter where there’s not much useful equipment. Stocking heal item also easy. I get several Ether Shard (that heals for 200 HP) from enemy’s drop which quite consistent. You can also get 1 free healing item from Sakura in infirmary but only once a week. Although healing is not much issue in later dungeon, I still want to complain why healing fountain only exist in very first dungeon. They can put just 1 in other dungeon like in the center or near the entrance. That shouldn't be big problem for the developer, no? Another thing that I like is the dungeon’s maze is transparent so you can see ahead for treasure chest and enemies. Also, enemy encounter is completely visible. No random encounter that felt too frequent or aggravating. The money and experience reward for winning an encounter is substantially bigger than in average Final Fantasy game. Probably the real charm of the game is Voice acting especially from your servant. Tamamo talks with voice acting, in numerous occasion: in battle, in dungeon explore, and in school. She like to say how great or genius I am even though I’m not in actual. She cries “I thought I was going to die” after winning a tough battle. She complains her tail becomes dirty after some battle. The music is pretty good. The battle OST is quite unusual because it’s calming and Jazz-y. Quite literally. Because jazz saxophone can be heard during battle OST.

Fate/Extra (2011) is RPG with unconventional battle system. I was deceived to think the game is visual novel where I walk around, talk to make progress, and branching paths get mixed in. Turns out it becomes RPG with battle, level up, and such. I mean the prologue part does not entirely lie about the gameplay. I have to search around for enemy’s data on the real part of the game. Besides the guessing nature of the battle, another bad thing on this game is: you’re stuck with 1 servant. Given, it’s not Pokémon. I mean it’s not Fate/GO where you are Fujimura Ritsuka (either gender) who’s master of hundred servants. Personally, I love getting stuck with Tamamo no Mae. I hear your critic “But she’s sexy character with revealing cloth. Pervert’s choice!”. Yes. She’s intended as sexy character but also humor character. She’s the least serious servant of the trio. It feels appropriate if she’s slipped by banana peel or get hit by falling wash basin on her head. If you prefer someone more serious, pick servant other than Tamamo. Suit yourself! Anyway, I can recommend you to play this game. It may look intimidating at first with deadline and battle system of guessing enemy’s action. But leveling up is quite fast and money is easy to come by. You’re fairly fine as long as you listen to your servant’s advice.

Anyway, about the evidences that the game takes place in virtual world. Lots of things there involve with computer stuff or using computer terminology. In real part of the game, the sky is blue and line of binary numbers can be seen. Shinji casting his skill by operating digital computer and I heard from Rin that Shinji is a famous hacker. In tutorial battle, the enemies are called program. The treasure chest is called Item Folder. Aoko Aozaki calls your servant as useless as C:\ prompt. The governing mechanism in the competition is called SE.RA.PH instead of just Seraph. Although I don’t know what program uses file with extension .PH. The dungeon has transparent walls and it resembles virtual training like in Meta Gear Solid. Sakura introduces herself as AI. The most obvious of all, synopsis in GameFaqs clearly stating that the game takes place in virtual world. Then the laser grids in 2nd dungeon. That last one is joke but it’s true. Perhaps Kuzuki eliminates fake participants AKA bots back then. Maybe it’s job as protection against BOT and cheater/hacker. Lastly, I want to tell you about a cameo of this game:  

There’s a chapter in manga called All Around Type Moon where Rin Tohsaka messing around with her laptop, resulting in Nero Claudius comes out along with Crix, Inspire, and Viper. At the end of story, Rin does the thing again and various servants from Fate/Extra come out. You can see Francis Drake on the most left of the group. Then there’s Tamamo worriedly calling me and Robin Hood on her right. If you’ll excuse me, I have to pick her up there.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment