Friday 9 August 2019

Inindo (SNES) - Part 1


Whenever you heard word "Ninja", you tend to think some awesome bloke with dark cloth, nigh inhuman agility, and various cool weapon/tool. Also he acts in secrecy or shadow. But you can also associate them with Batman™. So i want to sneak further into the way of ninja by playing Koei's Inindo (1993). 


See the subtitle? I'm on right track. The main title looks like bad graffiti made by cheap white paint. I played this game quite long time ago only for an hour or even less because i'm ignorant git. Before this title screen there's backstory that goes like this...
 
In Iga Province, Japan at 1581. This man who i assume current Hanzo Hattori (head of Iga Ninja), speaks to me that Oda Nobunaga with his army are about to attack us Iga Ninja. As i'm too young to fight (probably still 8 y.o or so), he lets me escape but tasked with avenged their death and live as fugitive.   
 
Even with Iga Ninja's cunningness and trickery, Nobunaga prevails over Iga Ninjas by the virtue of numbers. Can you imagine -for example- a pitfall trap is triggered and cause some soldiers to fall but later their comrade form human bridge to overcome it. That's just cartoonish act that i like to see. I know this historical fact before in Nioh where i have to pass an Iga mansion with accompany of Hattori Hanzo  junior and i got the gist of it from dead people's lingering memory. Also i have to fight late Hattori Hanzo  senior that's reborn as spear-wielding giant frog. Ah, i'm digressing. I'm sorry.
 
I will! And i will do it in Tenchu style while he's looking for his sandals or something. Oh, wait! Nevermind. It's back to title screen.
 
There's also exposition about i'm training with elder's granddaughter. I don't think body size is related to ninja skill, old one. Anyway, once i pick new game and name for my character then the game starts.  
 
Let me guess! They're from Zeed organization, right? Yep, i name our protagonist here "JoeMusashi" even though i suppose you play as Hattori Hanzo Junior. I can also name him "Ryu Hayabusa" to foretell Koei emerges with Tecmo. But the letter limit is 10 and i much prefer Shinobi than Ninja Gaiden simply because i play more the former than the latter.
 
I heard that most JRPG starts with you find the elder and this game is no different. Did i tell you that this game is RPG? Because it is. Inindo got credit for me to have protagonist that's not swordsman although Joe here starts with sword but maybe he will get Kusarigama/Chain & Sickles, who know? Anyway, the elder tells me to go to first dungeon north of here to have some password to allow me to get to the training ground near Mt. Fuji. Suddenly, someone tells us that Nobunaga's men are here. The reasonable action at this point is running away.
 
Sadly, Joe is dense bastard that he rush to confront them. He can only deal 1 point damage while he's surrounded. Iga ninja will truly extinct at this rate.
 
Fortunately for him, those ninjas are called back to aid Nobunaga fights the rebellion led by Mitsuhide Akechi. Not only this is reasonable cause, but also stays true to the history fact. According to historical bits that i got from playing Nioh and Toukiden 2, the infamous warlord Nobunaga is killed in that rebellion. So much for Iga ninja's revenge, then.
 
Then elder come to revive me from that scripted defeat and repeat himself to tell me to go to the dungeon north of here. After that, he vanished without trace. 
 
I found the dungeon with no problem and the first enemy that i fight is...Giant Centipede! I hate Giant Centipede in Nioh because it's the boss that feels obnoxious and unfair. Luckily, this one is easy to defeat like what did you expected from first legit enemy in RPG. Few step after defeating this multi-legged freak, i encounter Giant Rat because this is RPG.
 
And i meet 3 of the Giant Rat that look like sculptured potato. Oh, great! [Light Sarcasm]. Here's the gameplay: 'A' button to bring menu or confirm your choice and 'B' button to cancel your choice or see the enemies on battlefield. The battlefield is divided into invisible grids. I think they're 3 X 5 grids. I have two option of attack: near (melee) and far. Anyone can't melee attack if they're not adjacent with their opponent's position. Luckily i'm ninja, i can toss shuriken at them from range. This is why ninja is more awesome than just bloke with light armor and sword.
 
Once i enter this watery area, "This way to password" message box appears. The password is in this chest that is more like Kodama's shrine than common treasury box. To open the chest you have to press "inspect/action" button on it, right? But not in here as there's no such button. Instead you have to bring menu (by pressing 'A' button) and select "Search" option. Kind of redundant procedure if i may say. Also notice that the currency is in Dollar mark. Funny.    
There's cutscene once i get out from that dungeon: i hide from Nobunaga's troop and turns out that he's still alive only with some burn injury! Plot twist for those who know the history and me. Thus my quest for revenge continues.
 
Thank you, motivation stone sign! In the overworld, there's no enemy encounter. Very strange but i can move to destination without worry about enemies.
 
Not far from that stone sign is the first town, Ise Castle which i assume Battleship Ise's name based on. You can only save your progress in inn like this not even in overworld like standard Final Fantasy and there's only 2 slots. Not only provide me with lodging and savepoint, inn also a place where you can meet possible party member.
 
Like this Ronin Akira Toriyama creator of Dragon Ball, or maybe his ancestor. The Ronin is kind of rude as whatever topic (other than name) that i want to talk he immediately replies with "None of your business". There's also swordsman who is more polite but both of them refuse to join my cause saying "If you're more experienced, maybe i will join you". Well, they're cocky sods. I'm level 4 while you're still level 2, you dolts!
 
I visit teahouse because of tea, obviously. Even though your tea is good, but i have to disagree with your statement there, stupid sir. Ieyasu Tokugawa is benevolent ruler. Look it up! Teahouse is supposed to have guest too but this time i'm the only visitor. Figures.
 
There's also Doctor that will heal me at the cost of money and sells recovery items.
 
That's funny. the arm shopkeeper here is similar to the medicine man even though their buildings are separated by few meters. Anyway, i buy hard hat in case i have to venture through construction area or what have you.
Later, on the other town...
 
Hmm, yeah. That's interesting fact. But there's more pressing matter to me: i'm lost and don't know where to go.

Remember when i said there's no random encounter in overworld. Turns out there is but within fixed time. In overworld there's cycle between day and night. Every time passes in day and night, Joe automatically rest outdoor and he will encounter either samurai or ninja. The former is mostly hostile while the latter is mostly friendly. Should you fight in this encounter, you better try to run as the samurai is overleveled at this state. Spy_taunts11.wav  
After lost for 2 hours or so and reload the game...
I feel stupid. Like really stupid. I take quick peek at some walkthrough to see where i have to go next and the keyword is "Mt. Fuji". Then i look at my previous screenshot about what Elder told me convincing me that i'm genuine idiot. If only the game provide me with quest log or at least give me direction (remainder) in some kind of form (e.g. stone sign or other NPC), i won't embarrassed myself like this. Also there's no marker or even world map in this game like some Final Fantasy. Anyway to go to this point, i have to walk north from Totomi Castle and that's quite far east from Ise Castle
As i walk east from that stone sign, i found the Training Ground. Hoooray! My training here is to go to dungeon nearby and retrieve fire gem. The elder said that next training is another dungeon and so on and of course my final training is to assassinate Nobunaga Oda himself.
Of course the dungeon where fire gem placed, is the home for lots of fire monsters: fire dungeon. Near the entrance , there's this mysterious circle. Mysterious because i don't what it does. When i step on it there's blink effect and that's it. Maybe it replenishes my health but i'm not sure. If  it doesn't, i can go back to surface and rest at nearby either inn or clinic.
 
As you can see there's normal giant rat besides fire ones. The battle goes stalling, fire rat and i exchange damage by 1 point when suddenly it start blowing fire at me for serious damage of 6 points. 6 turns later, i'm dead. Back to main menu.
 
Finally i can deal significant damage. Only critical damage though. Normal damage that i can inflict only 1 point again. I better escape.
 
This is quite better. Although Giant Serpents are more appropriate opponent in my level, but when they come at me 3 at once like this i feel overwhelmed.
 
Therefore i decided to go back to 1st dungeon. Everything goes fine until my level is 5 and as if the random encounters stop here. I test that by roaming the dungeon while playing Clash Royale at the same time and i meet no encounter at all not even a giant centipede. Thus we can conclude that Koei have programmed certain dungeon to contain no encounter if protagonist reach certain level. That's something that Square-Enix don't think about. So credit to Koei. 
 
Oh, no! Not you again, goddamn mug. As soon as i'm out that dungeon this git appears. Curse him!
 
On the bright side, i can deal considerate amount of damage to Fire Rat that it tries to defend from my attack. Heavy_positivevocalization02.wav
 
Sniper_specialweapon07.wav. As in every RPG, searching dungeon for chest is always worthy. I find mace that certainly more powerful than my sword even though less powerful than long sword that i planned to buy. Now that i have mace, i think i will save more money for Ninjato because: 1) It contain word 'Ninja' 2) It's better than long sword.
 
When i rest at the inn, this strategy screen appears and runs on its own. I thought maybe this is error in emulation, got mixed with Koei's strategy game. But according to some FAQ, it's part of the game and it happens every beginning of a month. This will be crucial if you're recruited by Daimyo as either spy of war officer. Hey i recognize Masamune Date there! It's evil guy with eye-patch, matchlock handgun in one hand, and sword in other hand. At least that's what he's depicted in Samurai Warriors or Warriors Orochi.  
Wow! Look at that money! I can buy Ninjato at the price of 210 dollar gold. On the menu from top to bottom: 1) Search to open chest or read sign 2) Lineup to adjust party's formation which is useless right now as i'm alone right now 3) Items to see and use item on possession but sadly no item description 4) Info to see status of party member 5) Magic to cast spell 6) Spy to spy on intelligence inside a castle/town. There's also picture of hand with bandaged pinky finger as permanent injury indicator on bottom box. Maybe my maximum hitpoint is reduced if i have that injury. Medic can remove it with cost of 20 gold which is double price of staying at inn. But i think you can only replenish energy at inn.
 
Not only Ninjato has more attack power than Long Sword but also boost my defense. How can you resist to buy it?
 
The arm shop or any shop can't buy your item but shop called guild is willing to do that. I got this wooden sword from giant centipede on fire dungeon earlier. Yes, there's easier enemies in there but they show up kind of late. After i sold the wooden sword, i buy amulet (probably omamori) that boost my defense and resistance here. I'm optimally equipped! Demoman_battlecry05.wav
 
Turns out not all samurai are douche bag. Ito here is nice guy and we met before at inn. Wish you luck too, friend.
 
On 3rd floor of fire dungeon, i found fire crocs (not the sandal!). It's formidable foe. I have to resort to use 2 medicines in this battle. Then it escapes. Engineer_specialcompleted03.wav
 
I like some health refill item and explanation on your product, if you don't mind please! Seriously, this violates consumer protection rule! How can someone know what they're buying if you don't give them any damn clue? Pressing 'L' or 'R' button only removing word item type and number of boosted stat on right box. Antidote is to cure poison that's for sure. Elixir is stronger health refill item than medicine, i think? Body healer has the most healing power, maybe? Energy up is to refill energy which is used to cast skill. That's all i know.  
Now i'm faced with fire crocs and its serpent friend. But i have leveled up that i can deal more significant damage to it. No big deal.
 
I thought i have to face monster boss to obtain fire gem. Turns out, no. It's inside this chest so all i have to do is pick it up...if only i have more space on my inventory! It's quite my fault to hoard medicine until my bag is full but also reasonable things to do. Not only useable items that occupies it but also any equipment that you have whether you equipped or not. You see closed chest over there? It contains Ninjato. I could have saved my money but i don't regret buying it at all.
This fire croc keep spitting fire from distance, forcing me to go after it because i don't get better ranged weapon yet. I can move up to 6 possible spots around me. The spot on my left is blinking because i choose it, mind you. So the more accurate battlefield grid is like this:











I always start in most right spot 2nd line. For some reason, if i stay on starter point enemies won't surround me. So if i just move forward once, they can surround me. Unlike most Tactical RPG, you can (melee) attack your enemy right after moving. Therefore fastening the combat phase.
 
After taking the fire gem, i take stair nearby that finally lead to the same mysterious circle as in near entrance. It's your typical exit-from-dungeon shortcut. Soldier_thanksfortheteleporter02.wav   
 
Once i give fire gem to elder, he teaches me fire  magic. Now i can cast "Flame" magic/ninjutsu like that Nobunaga's ninja. I'm more legit ninja! But my quest still continues...on next part.

No comments:

Post a Comment