Friday 22 March 2024

Zoids Densetsu (GB)

Back then when peoples are hyped over Gundam. Meanwhile I fancy Zoids. I even play Zoids game in Gameboy: Nova Co.’s Zoids Densetsu (1990). 

That’s the Zoids logo that I know and love. I like the bolted part of it. The game support 2 players modes which I think fairly rare for Gameboy game. But I will just play the game with 1 player mode like usual. Much like The Amazing Spiderman, I never finished this game back in the day. I need to put closure in this game. The nostalgia is killing me.   


As per usual I start the game in 1 player mode because I can’t bring someone else into my selfish pursuit. So, I get to choose 2 factions. Thanks to Google Translate, I can identify what are they. On the top is Republic while on the bottom is Empire. Like in Star Wars (I think), republic is good guy while empire is bad guy. That kind of true in Zoids: Chaotic Century where the empire is being led by a villain. Although the prince who is the righteous heir of the empire, was taking political asylum to Republic due to Coup d'etat. Later on, the prince takes the empire throne and form alliance with Republic. That’s what I can summarize from watching the anime several years ago, I probably make mistake on retelling the story. Anyway, I choose republic faction, not because I want to be good guy. But because I want to control my favorite Zoids: Gojulas!   


No Gojulas just yet. For now, I have to settle with Shield Liger. The pilot’s rank is Shoei, whatever that means. Then there’s Liger’s technical specifications. The most bottom stats is speed. I assume the unit’s speed is Km/hour. But because they are out of space, they have to settle with Km only.


The game is untranslated but fear not. It’s horizontal shmup thus language barrier is barely hinder the gameplay. All you need to do is dodge and shoot. Simple. The control is D-pad to move your Zoids around. I mean literally. Your Zoid can move in any spot on the level. No need to jump or whatnot. The game implements pure positioning. No need to worry about gravity. Pressing “B” button to shoot the main weapon while pressing “A” button to activate the sub-weapon/special weapon. See that “homing” on right top  HUD? That’s the special weapon and it’s currently zero in stock, so I can’t demonstrate the special weapon yet. Special weapon is different for each Zoid. We will talk about how to change your Zoid later.


Unlike other game of its ilk, Zoids Densetsu doesn’t implement one-hit death. Thankfully. Instead, your Zoid has health point. See that array of tiny circle on center top HUD? That’s your Zoid’s health bar. Although the game has health bar system, the game is not easy. Shield Liger starts with only 2 health points! That’s too meager considering Liger-type Zoids usually what main protagonists in anime drive on. Fortunately, you can find this “L” icon that can fill the health point by 1 if you pick it up. 


There’s good news: you can upgrade your firepower by picking up “W” icon. In Liger’s case, each “W” icon you pick up will enable you to shoot up and down respectively. The bad news is: each time your Zoid get hit, your weapon will be downgraded.    


The flyer Zoids seldom open fire. Then there’s this Elephander that walk for about 50% of the screen. After that they fire projectile that homing at you. If you manage to dodge it, it will travel in curving pattern that can be hard to predict. Funny thing is: after firing that one tedious projectile, Elephander run away in hurry. I must commend their “Hit and run” tactic because not many enemies in horizontal shoot em up, have that level of intelligence.    


It takes long time before I can find the first “SW” icon which increase my special weapon’s stock. But I shouldn’t use it just yet because we’re near of level 1’s end.   


I know that flyer Zoids usually have form of Pterosaurs or Pteranodon. But I have no idea about this one. Is it Pegasus that supposed to be extinct in this planet full of Zoids? Now they’re fully extinct because I shoot them down. You can’t blame me for that. If they don’t harm my Zoid, I will gladly let them live. But no. They’re harmful to my Zoid.


Just few steps previous moment the level ends quite abruptly. You will get bonus score that scale with the level. Meaning later level you get more bonus point. But this score seems useless because there’s no top score board or extra life when you get certain amount of score.


The main threat in this game is not from enemy Zoids (or now-extinct Pegasus). It’s from environment hazards. Boulders, rocks, mountains, and these active volcanoes! Even rubbing against bramble proves to be harmful to your Zoid. Imagine brambles, of all thing that hurt the mechanical giant animal/dino! Even the weakling Eragon can destroy brambles like these at ease. Brambles probably equivalent to Megaman’s bubbles in this game. I envy to enemies that can freely move through these environment hazards without destroying themselves.


At the end of 2nd level, I must face on with Zaber Fang, to be more specific Great Saber variant. Zaber Fang is the same tier/function with Liger. Giant cat type that’s fairly durable, big, and fast. This Great Saber has maximum firepower at all time so be careful. To describe this fight, imagine in any Street Fighter game, a match between Ryu and Ken. Mirror match but not really. Reskin mirror match is more accurate. Plus, Ryu and Ken can’t turn around, they’re fixed to facing same direction for eternity. What baffles me is: I can’t use the special weapon in this “boss fight”. So, the special weapon only for non-boss part of this game, which kind of bad decision in gameplay design. Not cool. It’s kind of hard to see Zaber Fang’s opening. The only advantage you have is the fire rate. So, mash that shoot button very hard! That’s the only key to victory. 


The game know too well that the player’s main threat is environment hazards so it puts lots of them at one screen with barely enough gap to move safely. Although, the hit spot for the hazard collision is around the center of your Zoid. Like you’re fine if the zoid’s large cannon touch boulder or mountain.


Turns out, I have higher plane that I can work with. I can walk to the same level as the lower background and the obstacles aren’t placed there. Although I still have to be careful with those damned Elephander’s snipe shot.


If active volcano is not bad enough. How about rock-spitting volcano? Heavy_negativevocalization06.wav     


I’m man of my word. Here’s Liger’s special weapon: homing tiny missile. But more often than not the missile hit the obstacle instead of enemy. It’s not reliable to use. You know where the homing missile can shine the most? At the boss fight where there’s no obstacle to block it. But the game forbids me to use it to the boss fight. :c


The line of rock-spitting volcano is over but now here comes line of fire-spraying volcano along with indestructible rock within safe spots. Thankfully, I’m near the level’s end. I think I couldn’t pass through this level when I was kid. So, I have no clue what happen beyond this point.


More mountains in the game. Either active volcano or not. There’s more mountain in this game than in whole Europe! Some trivia: according to google There are 27,886 named mountains in Indonesia.” So on the brighter side, I don’t think the game has that many quantities of mountain.

I got bored so I decide to destroy Liger on purpose so I can move on to…

 

…my favorite Gojulas! So, the only way to change your zoid is by getting it destroyed. The zoids serve as your live reserve and there is total 3 Zoids. I just notice that the pilot’s rank change. Now it’s “Shosa”. I hope that’s a raise.


Gojulas has initial 4 health points which is double the amount what Liger has. The bullet pattern also changes. It becomes wide focus. The upper and lower projectile fly slightly diagonal and then go straight. Useful for strafing/sidestepping tactic. Also, the bullet form also changes but it doesn’t change the gameplay much.

 

When the array of volcanoes fails to destroy me, the enemy resort to launch intercontinental missiles at me. It’s like in Airwolf. Luckily those missiles can be shot down. Also the rock sprayed from volcano and rocks with lighter tone.

  

At the end of 4th level, I encounter Iron Kong. Much like previous boss fight, it’s reskinned mirror match again. On to slightly interesting topic, kid me thought Iron Kong here is Lion or Dog with very large gaping maw. The lower jaw was the Iron Kong’s hand. Can’t you see it or was it just me?

 

Level 5 takes place in cavern which mean there’s ceiling and floor that limit my movement. Things get weirder with floating fishes and gryphons as enemy. By weirder, I mean more out of place from Zoids setting.


Like Gradius or any of its ilk, Zoids Densetsu also deploys turret on either ceiling or floor. Hitting turret on floor is more challenging because lower projectile only enabled if I have maximum firepower.


I also encounter some Sea Panther, hermit crab Zoid. I thought they’re Gustav which is giant snail Zoid. Usually designed for transport rather than combat. I read in the wiki that there’s some attempt to weaponized Gustav but it’s not efficient. Also notice that there’s rock border that form branching path like in Haides planet in Thunder Force III. Not a good sign.  


Level 6 brings back the intercontinental missiles. How enemies can launch ICBM within a cavern? Sniper_sf13_magic_reac04.wav


Oh, great! [Gojulas-sized sarcasm] I take the wrong path and now I’m faced with solid wall. Unlike in Thunder Force III, you don’t die if hit wall so you can force your way through with the cost of 1 health and firepower.


This is just ridiculous. Why there’s active volcano inside a cavern? Medic_sf13_magic_reac06.wav  


Look how narrow this passage is! There’s barely safety gap on it. You have to park your Zoid very accurately. On top of that there’s a turret waiting for you at the end of this narrow passage.


At the end of level 6, I fight the infamous Death Saurer! If Gojulas is based on Tyrannosaur Rex. Then Death Saurer is based on Godzilla! What makes Death Saurer infamous is it has capability to fire deadly huge laser from its mouth that able to decimate everything. Thankfully, there’s no such thing in this game. Death Saurer only has ability to shoot rocket in conventional 3-way pattern. My strategy with Gojulas is not to try flank Death Saurer. Instead strafing up and down while occasionally dodge rockets by walking to the bottom or top of Death Saurer while it tries to flank. I forget to tell you that these 3 bosses are player’s Zoids if they choose to take on Empire’s side.


Shocking! There’s another level after I beat all of Empire’s playable Zoids! This level looks more high technology. I notice there’s high-tech crane game above me but with no prize at all. Maybe someone who’s expert at crane game, already took all dolls and fashion accessories there.


Then there are closing girders along with girders with very narrow gap. This level tests your driving skill so hard. 


Great! [Another Gojulas-sized sarcasm]. I have to face a dead end because I’m not fast enough to track backward. The screen’s auto-scroll moves too fast for me to get into the safe path in time. I have no choice. I have to tank the hit.


There’s Tesla tower that zap periodically. At least, it’s not active volcano again and it fits to the high-tech presentation of this level. Although it acts quite the same.


On to the level 8, hopefully it’s the final level. At the early part of this stage there’s these 2 items separated by pipes. Grab them and enjoy the accomplishment you felt doing so because these are the only weapon items that you get on this level.

By the way, I forget to show you what Gojulas’ special weapon is. It’s long-range mortar like in Mass Destruction and it makes multiple explosions within seconds. It’s only good to deal with enemies before they show up on screen.


I kind of disappointed with this level because it’s less interesting than previous level. This one is just girders and pipes. More pipe than all pipes in every level of Super Mario Bros combined. Oh, good. That elephander is ready to sniper shot me within this very narrow maze.


After tedious journey through level 8, I encounter another boss fight. It doesn’t start immediately. What’s wrong with you? Got some stage fright? Come out and shine, dear!

 

OH MY GOD! He’s freaking gigantic! He shoots from many parts of its body. His jaw, his front body cannons, his horn, his buzzsaw on his back, and also his claw! While he firing all of his many many guns, he tapping his foot like someone waiting for bus for 2 hours. I think Gojulas’ bullet pattern is not perfect for this boss fight because it’s too focus on center thus dodging his projectiles can be quite challenging. But Liger has even worse bullet pattern because it can’t flank the final boss. Maybe I can try park Liger at the top of him safely but some of his bullets homing on me so I doubt Liger is good for this final boss fight. This final boss fight reminds me of Junkyard Jive level in Cuphead which is horizontal shoot em up level with massive-size boss who has lots of projectiles and tedious to fight.


After destroying all of his guns, horn, jaw, and buzzsaw. The final boss destroyed in beautiful crunchy explosions. Cm_soldier_gamewon_05.mp3


I was expecting wall of epilogue text as closure to this game but there’s none. Not even credit roll, strangely. Instead, we get another technical specification screen but this time my pilot rank is Taisho. Good for me, I guess?


Then the game presents me with this screen of Gojulas. Judging by the cannons on its back. I’m certain it’s Gojulas Gunner, usually preserved as artillery unit rather than for frontal combat. Then I return to title screen. But, wait. I haven’t showed you the 3rd Zoids. It is…


… abstract. I have hard time to decipher this sprite. Kid me would say it’s bipedal robot with radar dish for head. Looking at the technical specification screen (with Google Translate, of course), it reveals to be Madthunder which is based on Triceratops with cannons on forehead instead of horns. It’s said that Madthunder is able to withstand Death Saurer’s death laser safely. As for Madthunder’s special weapon: C.P. It’s basically screen-clearing bomb. There’s delay before the bomb actives. The bomb must travel to distance of 40% of the whole screen before explodes. I guess this way, players can’t just launch the bomb whenever they’re in danger. They have to plan it first a bit. The Madthunder’s fire pattern is similar to Death Saurer’s which is the classic 3-way. I finish the game with Madthunder but the ending screen remains picture of Gojulas Gunner.

There’s another thing that I want to show you…


…which is the Empire faction. The pilot’s photo is different and obviously the Zoids too.


Also, enemies have different sprites. Elephander become Cannon Spiders. If you have arachnophobia, I suggest you don’t take side with empire. The emperor probably don't care about your phobia with spider a bit. I’m not sure whether the ending screen changes if you finish the game as empire’s zoid pilot. I’m already content with Gojulas’ picture so I haven’t tried do that.

One last thing that I want to tell you that the game has infinite continue but you will have to retry the level where you died.

Nova Co.’s Zoids Densetsu (1990) is quite unique horizontal shoot em up. The game gives you 3 Zoids that serves as fixed live reserve. Each Zoid is progressively better than the replaced ones but not in projectile’s patterns. I think each of them has different use. Liger’s projectiles are more suited for flanking. Gojulas’ projectiles are more useful for narrow passage or focused fire. Madthunder’s projectiles are the most versatile. They cover wide angle and useful for firing enemies while you position yourself in safe spot. As for the special weapon. Homing missile probably the second most useful weapon but it has terrible pathfinding thus it tends to hit obstacle instead of nearest enemy as intended. Napalm mortar is pretty much useless for close combat. It only good to deal enemy preemptively which requires you memorize the level first. C.P is standard screen-clearing bomb thus it’s the most useful special weapon. I very appreciate that the playable zoids have health system while lesser enemies (also rocks) only need one hit to destroy. Even Shield Liger/Great Saber (initially) have twice the durability than them. Because lesser enemies destroyed only with one hit, you don’t need to upgrade your firepower that bad. The extra projectile output only to facilitate your maneuverability. Probably Gojulas/Iron Kong’s weapon is the worst at it because the fire pattern is too narrow/focused. The sprites seem true to the franchise. But I honestly can’t recognize the Pegasus or Gryphon looking creature there. Perhaps you who have better knowledge at Zoids can correct me on these ones. The game likes to put harmful obstacles in dangerous configuration, making them the major threat than the enemies. Even with unlimited continue, the game still exceptionally hard. The duration of post-hit invincibility is pretty decent. There’s only one music that’s catchy to me and I like it. The rest are not. The sound effect is quite basic like “Pling!” or “Pew!”

 

Zoids Densetsu (1990) is -I can say- pretty good horizontal shmup for Gameboy game. But it’s filled with more obstacles than destroyable enemies which makes the game less fun and tedious to play. The boss fights kind of lazily made because they’re just other faction’s playable Zoids. Although the final boss is well designed. I’m guessing the 2 players mode is just boss fight but with player opponent instead of CPU. The special weapon is rare to find and barely interesting feature overall. Levels feel overly long. I don’t think I can recommend you to play this game. Not even Gojulas ending screen can change my mind about this game.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment