Monday 4 March 2019

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (PSX) - Part 2


Previously on part one: Jill Valentine, S.T.A.R.S. member and the protagonist of first Resident Evil, is currently caught in the night when Zombie outbreak occurs in the middle of Raccoon City. Her main objective is simple: escape the city alive but there's no obvious destination yet. There's a door can be lockpicked but she happens don't have lockpick despite her title of "Master of Lockpicking". Therefore she went to her office in Raccoon City Police Department station and get a lockpick. Once she lockpicked the door...
...she found another alleyway that leads to another Hydrant station. She can pick the hose to use it to extinguish fire in other alleyway but it's bolted. That means she needs another puzzle item. So she continues her journey for now. 
That dangling body is fun for me to watch. Yes, i'm horrible person if you can't tell by my sick taste of sightseeing here. Besides that, i want to advise you about the importance of wearing seatbelt. No matter how bad you're situation in, you should take time to wear seatbelt. Otherwise you will end up like that guy.
It appears someone charging his/her car with battery generator. I nab the power cable because the game allows me to do so not because i need it. Well, maybe i will in future. Who know? i don't. Anyway, examine every part and take everything is valid in this kind of game. Just like Point 'n Click Adventure.
 
Then there's new enemy: this hairy monster that could be equivalent of Licker or Hunter. But has capability to grab you unlike those other two. Maybe it's bed bug mutant. Yep, i assume so. I know that this monster also appears in Resident Evil 1 Remake.
I think i found the first cryptic puzzle. If i take that metal compass, that horse statue will pours water into that pool that electrified by that broken lamp. But i can put it back. There's another slot besides the vase-carrying statue. I reckon i need puzzle item that fits into that slot first before i can solve this puzzle.
 
I entered a restaurant that happen to have gas leak on its kitchen. Luckily for the restaurant manager, there will be no safety and health inspection on zombie outbreak.  
In the same kitchen, there's safe that can be lockpicked. It contains fire hook that i can use to open hatch in the same room.
 
After i opened the hatch, an Umbrella mercenary appears behind me. His name is Carlos and i don't think he's the same Carlos in Final Fight as he doesn't carry sword on its back. Though that makes me wish that Final Fight and Resident Evil happens in the same universe. I want to see Mike Haggar piledrivers the Nemesis. That will be really fun to watch.      
Offended by my opinion, Nemesis barges in from back door. It's another plot branching time. My option: 1) Go inside the hatch 2) Hide inside the kitchen. On the first play, i choose the first option, but the room soon flooded forcing us to fight him directly in close range. Even though Carlos uses M4A1, he isn't helping much as he shoots it in single-shoot mode. We came out victorious in the end but i lose many ammo and healing item. Turns out the second option doesn't make us get inside refrigerator or kitchen drawers. We go outside the kitchen then i throw electric lamp into the kitchen results in big blast that's caused by combination of gas leak and electric burst. Carlos yells at me but with this way, i save ammo and health.
After we exit via backdoor and have bit chat, Nemesis rises from his nap and after me again (while Carlos run ahead). At first i though Nemesis as just generic brute monster therefore not so scary. But his scary forte lies on his persistence. He can go pass through doors unlike other enemies and runs really fast. My reaction to this is to get to save point in parking lot office and he indeed chases me. But once in  junction where i fought that mutated bed bug, he takes wrong turn and run pass me like in that cartoon scene. That makes me chuckle and feel relieved.
When i return to that back alley, zombies occupy it. Great! [normal sarcasm]
 
Turns out, there's save room nears that alley. If i read map more diligent, i can cut that case really big. I'm stupid! Inside of the save room, i find crank and i think i know where do need to use it. But i decide to delay backtrack and choose to proceed further instead.   
There's that clock mechanism with gems around it. They're out in open so it's no wonder people can and will steal it. Miraculously, they're only 2 of them that missing. I have one from police station so i have to search for the other.
Inside press office, there's the first pushing puzzle! My first instinct is to take that photo above phone box. It's only give me reading with picture of zombie's face in the opening cgi, not worth it unless if you so care about "world building". To make progress, you have to hit that switch panel over there and then you hit button beside the door then it opens up.
 
Behind the door, there's staircase and lot's of fire. As i want to ascend further that door over blows out and gives me another jumpscare. Thank you so much! >=I
On the 2nd floor, i found zombies, gunpowder and the other gem that i need to unlock City Hall's gate. You notice that i no longer carry assault rifle? That's because i want to experience "real" difficulty by replacing it with handgun. Sounds stupid, i know.  
I have the power cable to replace the broken cable on that fire escape stairs but i can't find where it is even though i'm quite sure it's around here. By the way, there's zombie dogs spawn here in place where i have secured before. -_-#
The alleyway in the back of the bar leads to that shutter door that need crank to open. But unfortunately, the crank doesn't fit with that hole panel. Back to square one. 3=
Turns out the fire escape stairs that i'm searching for is indeed in the area on 2 previous screenshots. But something or someone just pull up the stair. This detail that confuse me because i'm pathetic idiot. In previous time, i can shoot down pile of wooden board then i was thinking maybe if i shoot the stair it will come down too. But tough luck, no matter how many bullets that i sacrifice it won't go down.   
I decided to visit the warehouse to drop my items. It's no longer safe place, there's some zombies here including the one who pretend to be dead on upper floor. Also the fatty git is out from container and dead.
Inside the container that once his hiding place, i found his dairy and some gunpowder A. He claim that he's getting crazy to just stay in safety here. Then i assume he challenges those zombie in fistfight. He's indeed extraordinaire. Idiot extraordinaire!
After those relatively fruitless backtrack, i decide i go through that City Hall's gate. I thought it was going to be closed building again but no this place is in the open which means not good. There's statue there that i'm certain is part of puzzle but the door that leads to it, can't be opened. So i move pass that door and there's 2 branching path.  
Goddamit, Jill! You broke the crank and makes me surprise in process. To be fair, there's description on crank that it's rusty and bound to broke. One path beyond Town Hall's gate, leads to this gas station and there's shutter door that need to be opened by utilizing crank. But it becomes another dead end, for now.
I really hate this. There's zombie that pretend to be dead but i can't shank him. As if the game said "Too bad you can't deal with lying zombies here one by one. You have to walk this alley to midpoint then i allow you to deal with all of them and hopefully making you scared in process. Have fun!". That's bastardly nonsense! Dead Island allows me to "check" every lying body without restricting me like this. Pitiful! 
After passing another (suspiciously) peaceful corridor, i come to this area where there's zombie dogs and train. I don't think i need to blow this explosive drum only to get rid of the zombie dogs. I save them for -maybe- Nemesis, should he gets after me here.
Inside the train, i found other Umbrella mercenaries: that bulky guy (who i forgot his name) and that wounded man named Mikhail. I'm more than happy to share one of my first aid spray with him but game disallows my generosity. Such a pity.
Following The sergeant guy to another cart, i meet with Carlos again. He manage to convince the sergeant to cooperate with me if they want to survive from this huge mess. You may wonder why i who play as Jill Valentine the S.T.A.R.S member who know too well that this incident is caused by Umbrella corps, am willing to cooperate with their mercs. It's because Carlos told me (on our first meeting) that their main objective is to help any survivors in Raccoon City also he can't deny any shady business of the corporation. They're probably act only for Umbrella's good image. So they're quite trustworthy. Except the sergeant, he's suspicious. That one is my bare hunch, mind you.    
Engineer_negativevocalization10.wav. There's one zombie bursts out from that car. Then i take shotgun shells inside of the car as jumpscare compensation.
I found wrench in that train. So i can loosen bolts on fire hose or turn the broken crank at the gas station. As it's the closest place, i choose latter option. Carlos gave me this safety harness that usually wear by construction worker. Will there be bungee jumping or sort like that?
 
When i search the gas station for awhile, Carlos comes in suddenly and not long after that group of zombie attacking the gas station. He's rushing to deal with them. As i don't want to feel another guilt over someone's dead. I head to outside without thinking twice.
The zombies are dealt by Carlos alone but he is also down or so what appears in the first time. He then get up and run off somewhere else. I'm quite relieved. Perhaps, he's fine for now.  
So i went back inside and continue my search for any valuable here. There's this puzzle lock. Pressing a button will turns on lights within certain pattern. Any light that is on will be turned off if it's triggered for the second time. My objective is to turn on only light above letter that are on. Solve a number of puzzle sequence and you will get a jerry can of oil that presumably is needed for the train.
Getting the oil, the garage on next door suddenly on fire because of electric shorting. Maybe i can prevent this if i check the garage first instead of go straight to the puzzle. Goodbye 3 A Gunpowder! I regret i don't have item slots for you all.
As i want to insert oil into train's engine, the train is under attack by pack of zombies! My decision to keep that explosive barrel unscathed is correct as Mikhail use it to deal the rest of them during this cutscene. After zombies are taken care of, Jill carries him back to train. You're true hero, sir! Turns out the oil isn't strong enough or whatever what Jill implies as if she's machinist which i doubt she is.
Zombie goblog! [translate: Bloody idiot zombies!] The door that can't be opened before is opened by this bastards. This jumpscare really got me good. This reminds me of my experience in Dark Soul 2 where there's one door on ruins of Forest of Giants that can only opened by enemy if you knock it first. Compare to that, this is lots worse. I begin to realize that jumpscare will bound to happen if i make progress. This really demoralizes me. >m<
At least i have access to this statue and those green herbs. Pushing button on Major's statue will make it release metal book on its hand. Do you remember that city's part where i found metal compass? The other slot is fit to this book but nothing happen if i insert it. Then i think maybe if i replce the book with compass on this statue, something will happen.
Why yes, indeed. The statue turns around to reveal a battery and i know where to use it. In the junction area where i fought the mutated bed bug for the first time (and Nemesis took wrong path to chase me), there's path that ends up in lift that can't be operated because there's no battery to power it.    
I use wrench to get this fire hose then the game tell me that the wrench is no longer serves purpose and gives me option to discard it. As there's no Team Fortress 2's sentry gun to upgrade in here, i have no choice but to throw away the wrench. So sad.
After dealing with spawning zombies and bed bug mutant, Jill comes to the fire scene put it out in time before this whole alley is burned. Good Job, Jill!
 
I have collected many gunpowder so i figure i have to start crafting now. Ammo crafting manual said that combining gunpowder yields various result. Here's the example: 1 gunpowder A combine with reloading tool will result in 30 handgun bullets but if i combine gun powder AA (which is combination between 2 gunpowder A) combine with the tool will results in 70 handgun bullets. That's 10 bonus ammo from the result of crafting from 2 gun powder A! Then i experience crafting with gun powder AAB. It results in 40 shotgun shells. If i make ammo from 1 gun powder B, i get 20 shells which is exactly half of the value. I believe i will get more shells if i craft from gun powder BB than AAB ones (maybe bonus 5 or so) furthermore i sacrifice ingredient for handgun bullet in process. But in my opinion, it's quite worthy. As i think handgun bullets aren't so valuable compare to shotgun shells especially when dealing zombies. They usually in tight formation so i prefer using shotgun that can blast them at once rather than using handgun. Or if not in group i deal them with knife. I rely on handgun only when dealing with those mutants or zombie dogs.
Speaking of the devil, there's the mutant beyond that once burned ally. Someone has planted bomb in this wall and i'm thinking to shoot it with my handgun to defeat the mutant. Then it becomes aware and chase me. I shoot the bomb and we're both dead. That's my 2nd "You Died".
That's funny. The mutant is bit different than before i reload the game. Its skin is less thorny. Maybe this one is the poisonous variant of the mutant as it manages to change Jill's status from Fine to Poisoned. This time i succeed in blowing the time bomb safely. By the way, i found another crank in that rubble behind Jill.
 
The alley leads to this Umbrella's small branch office. I find the sergeant kill his man here while he's still conscious but in the middle of zombification. I wanted to ask what kind of operating system within that laptop of his but he denies me by saying he's busy. I'm more suspecting you, mister.
There's locked storage in this office that require password to unlock. From nearby document, i know that the password is Umbrella's product. Then i turn on TV that shows this advertisement. I presume Adravil here is inflammation gel or sort like that. I have seen enough TV ad so i know i'm right. That stripped gaps on ad's model is TV's effect in case you wonder why her hip and arms are split. I have to admit she's less attractive than Jill Valentine because she has inhuman long neck. Then i type 'Adravil' on a computer and Voila! The door opened. Who would guess? [Light Sarcasm]
Inside of storage, i found additive liquid to boost the effect of the oil. Suddenly, another group of zombies barge inside of the office and i heard the sergeant guy screams like little girl. Pitiful! >:I
Turns out i can deal lots of them by shooting valve on that pipe. The pipe will gush steams if you do so. As you can see that zombie isn't focus on me. Quite often zombies walk other way than on my direction. Even with stupid A.I, i'm still afraid of zombies. I feel more stupid.
Oh! Guess who's back? Nemesis prevents me from saving in save room in this alley (and punching the water pump in process). Forcing me to go back to the warehouse, only for saving my progress. The big jerk. -_- #
On the bright side i can get to that shutter door that need another crank to open up. It's revealed grenade rounds! Demoman_positivevocalization04.wav
As i want to go back to parking lot office to safe, i get surprised by another branching quick-time event though this one doesn't involve Nemesis. A quake happens and make a hole then those cargos slowly slide down. I have 2 option (again): jump down or pull up. I choose latter because i suspect something worse will happen below. Plus, i can evade those cargoes at ease.
 
Taking the elevator, i end up on this power station. There's 2 doors that are closed, one require small voltage electricity while the other need high voltage ones. The machine that power the door is beside me but i have to set the electricity setting from auto to manual via machine behinds me.
. 
The puzzle is easy to understand but hard to calculate. The number on most left is the base voltage. Press red switch will increase it while the blue ones do the opposite. You have to press the switches 4 times. The increment or decrement is bigger from previous phase. You have to manipulate the voltage until number on most right match to necessary voltage number that's required to open each door. The low-voltage locked room contains fuse that we need while the high voltage ones contains magnum! Engineer_mvm_loot_rare02.wav  
 
Should you get the fuse, another quick-time event happens. Another group of zombie come after me. This time my choice: 1) shorten the machine so the zombies got electrocuted (hopefully not me too) 2) force a closed emergency door to open. I choose first option and it's very satisfying to see those brainless freak get fried and popped. Miraculously, the power station isn't blowing up or something after my reckless electricity operation there. But i suspect i will get surprised at least twice: by zombie and Nemesis, before i reach the train. Really no fun to me.
Before i go to replace the fuse and fill the train with machine oil. I stole the book for iseng safekeeping. Then two fountain burst and that's it, nothing more spectacular happens.
 
And guess who i meet in the middle of the way back to train. It's the hunter. I mean hunter of S.T.A.R.S member. Not that hunter in Resident Evil 1 or the one with lush eyebrows and mustache. I finally can show you the emergency avoid works. If it works Jill will dash away from attack or will push enemy immediately if she's about to be grabbed. Emergency avoid definitely good to conserve ammo and run away from unnecessary battle like here. I'm sorry, Mr. Nemesis. I know you're here to hunt down every S.T.A.R.S. member but i choose to ignore you this time because you just wasting my ammo and unlike Mr. X you don't give me ammo after defeated. Actually i don't feel sorry at all. Screw you!   
 
Just before i reach area where the train lies, another quake happens and i fell down to this underground tunnel. To get out of this place i need to activate a ladder by activating 2 panels like this one. But things isn't that simple as there's worm monster (who causes the quake) will attack me from hole besides of each panel if i slow enough to push the button.
Even with the ladder is set, i can't leave yet as the worm won't let me. He will hide inside the hole beside the ladder and will strike me if i try to climb it but after that it immediately will goes hiding again. It won't be so problem if the camera cooperate with me better than this. I have to lure it out then immediately step back to barely safe distance then swiftly shoot shotgun on its mouth. It takes about 7 shotgun shells if you're doing it right.
The ladder lead me to train area via a manhole and here they are the components are set! They're more logical as stage-transition key items than chess plugs or animal stones. Then i move to front cart and Carlos is there but the sergeant isn't. So we decide to leave him. I don't like him anyway. By the way, you can't go back to town because of gap that's made by the worm.
But we got stowaway. It's Nemesis, of course. I try to fight him but my item-stingy instinct get the best of me so i return to the front cart.
Then Mikhail sacrifices himself to blow the big bastard along with whole cart. You're really true hero, sir!
Suddenly, another negative filter happens again. It's branching plot event! The train runs so fast and can't be controlled anymore. There's 2 option: 1) Use the emergency break 2) Jump out of train. I have seen many Hollywood movies that i know the solution to this problem is the last option. So, i jump. Unfortunately, Carlos didn't watch any of those movie so he choose to stay at the train, leading to his death. RIP Carlos. =C
I got thrown out of train unharmed although it crashes into someone's house really bad. There must be something behind that painting but wait!
 
*Gasp* A group of burning zombies! This is like the beginning of scenario A of Resident Evil 2. For real this time.
 
Amidst that crisis i manage to grab Clock tower key behind the painting fast enough before go inside the door that turns out it's save room. I'm out of crisis so fast and easy. But i feel bad about losing my Umbrella mercenary friends especially Mikhail. He's heavily injured yet he protects me who's healthy. That feels really wrong. I should load before the boss fight, do it better so i can have top condition to defeat Nemesis or i can go explore the town more thoroughly there's locked boutique shop and other locked area. But that will be for un-recorded walkthrough.
I can feel that Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (1999) is more ambitious (in good way) than Resident Evil 2. It takes place more in the survivor's shoe than the previous, like secure other survivor or set path to more reasonable way. I mean who thought of escaping from heavily-infested city through sewer that ends up in laboratory like in previous series? But that way, the player know the cause of the outbreak. While in this ones, game assume that you already know it as the setting also takes place in Raccoon City. Speaking of which, the main scenario only in 1 disc for 1 person unlike the previous series. That mean the replayability value isn't so high but there's branching plot that can cover that. And i suspect there's different ending depends on the Umbrella Mercenaries that are with Jill. She has 10 slot inventory but she doesn't have special item slot (like for lighter or lockpick). The ammo crafting part makes the scavenging part fitter in Survival genre and it returns in Resident Evil 2 remake as we all know. Also it allows you to get ammo that you want/need in creative way. The dodging can facilitate player to avoid enemies without heavily rely on zigzag maneuver with tank control which make less sense though you have to press the button at the right time that will take some time to get used to. Enemy respawn after making progress is trivial in RE classic but make some of them suddenly burst at you is truly brilliant to make the Horror aspect more definite. Or at least, that makes me scarred good. I don't think there's this many jumpscare in other RE classic. There's also crow jumpscares but they are not that scary as -we all know- crows are weak and easily-dodge enemy. The weapons are quite the same with the one in previous series. Well, except assault rifle that's really good and have very big ammo capacity. The atmosphere is more scary as you're mostly in open area where zombie's moans can be heard also you get quite-detailed situation of a city that's devastated by zombie outbreak. 

It seems needless for me to say that you should play Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (1999) as i'm sure you already have played in sometime in the past. Maybe i can put it this way: replay it if you're Resident Evil fans. I'm sure you can do better than me. Because i'm playing as the legendary heroine Jill Valentine, isn't fit. If i'm in Resident Evil universe, i'll be Joseph. "Who's Joseph?" you ask? He's the bloke who got killed by zombie dog in opening movie of first RE. The Insignificant and unfortunate coward. Yup, totally me especially regarding zombie accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment