Wednesday 27 December 2023

2023 Review

Before I begin the 2023 review, I like to say thank you so much for reading my blogger although I may disappoint you with less amount of article published this year and previous year too. It takes 2 years to realize the main factor of my procrastination during writing article and that is: Mobile Legends: Bang Bang. I got addicted to that salty moba game on phone that my productivity reduced by half. Theoretically, I should made 42 - 48 articles a year. But this year I only made 21 (minus this annual review). However, I made more long playthroughs than ever. Probably the most amount of long playthrough so far. So, this year writing isn’t completely busted. I don’t want to sound like lying politician but I promise I try to reduce the moba addiction and more productive on writing article. On the plus side, I have Windows and Microsoft Office upgraded. Whether you realize it or not, there’s subtle difference on my work between with the old MS office and the newer ones. The new MS office keep auto-correct me write word “i” with capital letter. I hope you understand my past writing mistake because English is not my first language.

Once again, i have to limit the top viewed article to 10. But i will try to make that up with Special Chapter that this time is on last part. Maybe you wonder what’s Special Chapter is about. Basically, it contains something special like closure of game that I wrote that I couldn’t finish in time or article that can’t fit in usual program because I think the writing is too short. For this year, I make 2 special chapters, to make up my tardiness!   

I) MVP (Most Valuable Pictures)

1. DreadOut 2 (PC)

First stop is DreadOut 2 which is Horror game made by Indonesian that I promised to review last year. The best moment in that game is this fetch quest where I have to find and brew coffee for ghost who happen to be coffee addict. The coffee product you can get here are parody for real coffee product. One of them is “Kapal Uap” which is parody of “Kapal Api” brand. Both of them mean steamboat. “Kapal Api” brand is my (late) father’s favorite so it’s impossible to overlook this coffee brand.

2. King of Fighter 2000 (PS 2)


One of my favorite moments in fighting game is when I successfully grab my opponent especially with super move. So seeing Hinako Shijo waggling Kula by the neck and rudely throw her away, is very satisfying.

3. Resident Evil 4 (PC)

 

Here’s another satisfying moment from something powerful yet simple: Leon’s kick from Resident Evil 4. Especially if I manage to land the kick on multiple enemies. Unrealistic? Perhaps. But this is action game, let us have fun!

4. Rambo III (Genesis)

 

Yet another powerful moment, coming from Rambo III’s title. I hate to break it to you, reader. But the iconic explosive arrow doesn’t work in real practice. Nonetheless I love this picture.

5. The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim (PC)

“I used to be an adventurer like you. Until I took an arrow to the knee” said one of Whiterun’s guard. Well, this necromancer git took arrow to the area near right eye and chin yet he’s still going strong to stab me with knife. Shame on you, nameless guard.  

6. Bomb Kick (Arcade)

 

On lighter mood, we have fateful encounter with Disney Alladin’s genie on bootleg arcade game Bomb Kick. I like he winks everytime he shoots the bat projectiles but late I defeat him. You’re too good for Bomb Kick, genie! With bullet hell ability like that, you should consider himself to apply to Touhou Project. Go see Yukari Yakumo for detail. I’m rooting for you to be next accident maker in Gensokyo.

 7. Amazing Spider-Man (GB)

 

Rhino who’s one of Sinister Six, often portrayed as dumb muscle. But in this game, he shows some good quality of his intelligence by using airpods to communicate with Spider-Man while other using obsolete radio/walkie-talkie. 

8. Dragon Valor (PSX)

This moment of me jumping on dragon probably the most generic yet epic portrayal of man versus legendary beast. Also has action anime vibe on it. 

9. Kagero – Deception II (PSX)

 

The game takes place in bleak time where immortal race called Timenoid, governs over humans to prevent them become violent barbarian like in dark age. But that doesn't mean humanity is fine. The Timenoid government often carries out seedy operation like assassination and kidnapping some human. In Timenoid government there’s Priest Dusk, acting as chancellor or that’s what supposed to be. According to his biodata, Priest Dusk only served as King Eclypse’s yes man so he doesn’t have control function on government at all. This fact makes me chuckle a bit. Although to be fair, Priest Dusk is big coward and I think the king won’t hesitate to behead him if he showing any sign of defying the king, including giving him sensible advice as what Chancellor should do.    

10. Gungrave (PS 2)


On to the 3rd person shooter that’s probably inspired by dozens of John Woo’s movie, Gungrave. Firing rocket from his coffin-shaped weapon stash is awesome, but I still prefer Grave’s frantic way of shooting his gun on each hand. The way he hops and turns around like crazy that I consider his way of shooting is strange yet magnificent.  

11 & 12. Crisis Beat (PSX)

Crisis beat is about beat em up in deluxe double cruise liner, beating up terrorists with anything you can break them into with feature called Lock-On Counter. It deals large damage and nets big score (important for getting extra life). The lock-on counter with the biggest impact is when I break this control panel behind this terrorist. Lifeboat falls down and damaging another terrorist but strangely I’m fine. This moment somehow relatable to Kagero – Deception II.  

 


As in many Beat em up game, you can throw enemy to their peers for crowd control measure. J.J has another way to utilize terrorist against their friend, that is using good old big swing move. Very satisfying when I can pull it off.   

II) The Top 10 List

10. DreadOut 2 – Part 2 (PC) / Kagero – Deception II - Part 2(PSX) 

I really like that someone read article about DreadOut 2, although I don’t like this hospital part where I’m forced to run away or hide since the enemies can’t be stunned with flash because they don’t have eyes. Fortunately, things get better past this worst part.    

I also like that people read article about Kagero because it’s pretty obscured game. In this part there’s giant pendulum blade that I like to use on enemies, hinting that I’m sadist person.   

9. DinoPark Tycoon (DOS)


DinoPark Tycoon is pretty much cartoonish Jurassic Park but it has more problem than just escaping dinosaurs. Vandals destroy dinosaurs’ food storage for no reason. Visitors become lost even though my Zoo consists only 1 pen and lots of empty fields. Dinosaurs got sick because of overfeeding. Or suddenly we get no visitor at all. It’s quite miserable experience to play this game. So you better stay out of it.    

8. DreadOut 2 (PC) - Part 1

Marvelous! DreadOut 2 gets more exposition. Despite the jankiness and the design inconsistency, this game deserves my recommendation especially, the game takes place in parody version of Bandung my hometown.       

7. Gungrave (PS 2) / Resident Evil 4 (PC) – Part 2 / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)        


This is reasonable because I review this game to commemorate Gungrave G.O.R.E’s release. Sadly I can’t send enemy’s rocket back to them with coffin swipe like in G.O.R.E. Nonetheless this game is very cool.


While this review’s date is quite close when Resident Evil 4 remake’s released. I love emptying my stock of grenade just to defeat this chainsaw nutso back then. It was worthy.


I don’t play the new TMNT game this year. Instead, I play the game from my childhood: Shredder’s Revenge or Hyperstone Heist in Japan version. I’m still good at this game but finishing the game in hard mode is still challenging.

6. Rambo III (Genesis)

In this game, you play as John Rambo that can mow down enemies with light machine gun. That alone can be main reason you play this game. There’s some extra gameplay element such as item drop only upon successful knife stab or power bar when using explosive arrow. It’s pretty fun game but enemies come at you relentlessly there. 

5. Dragon Valor (PSX)


Dragon Valor is fancier title/class for Dragon Slayer. Also with special magic sword but not that Capcom’s Magic Sword. However, Dragon Valor’s enemy is not only evil dragon but also rogue knight, ninjas, animal warrior and skeletons. The undead skeletons keep raising after I defeat them. But it makes sense, the sword is meant to kill dragon and not any Undead.

4. Resident Evil 4 (PC) – Part 1

Apparently, I always make better first impression. So, Resident Evil 4. Everyone’s favorite. It would be also my favorite if it had more weapon. I know that Capcom need to go from somewhere for the “advanced” continuation of Resident Evil franchise so I have to tolerate anything that feels lacking in this game. I also heard that this game is bit rushed because the team overhauled the game design, even starting from the scratch. But it came out fine as far as I know. Besides, I like Leon’s kick is powerful, it can even kick away multiple enemies.    

3. Crossfire (Genesis) / Bomb Kick (Arcade)

This is curious case to me. Quite lot of people like to read about this obscured game that is hybrid of vertical shmup and top-down shooter. Good for them, I guess. I remember when I was young kid, I witnessed demonstration of this game and I though it was amazing game. Turns out…it’s kind of janky. However, this game has something remarkable that the legendary Super Contra doesn’t have. That is protagonist that can jump as tall as small house to avoid bullet.

I’m also surprised with the fact that quite many people want to read crazy bootleg arcade game. The game contains bootleg Aladdin and genie, so there’s that.

2. Kagero – Deception II (PSX) – Part1


 

I’m happy that lots of reader like to read article about my favorite game that’s relatively obscured. Someone describes this game as even cruel version of Home Alone because you deal with anyone intrude place, you’re in with various traps and killing them in process. I agree with that opinion.

1. Crisis Beat (PSX)


Yet another obscured PSX game that I very fond of, get some fame. Naturally, I’m very happy about it. As always, Beat em up game is my biggest passion in gaming so I made article about this game for the blog’s birthday. I really appreciate, you lot.

III) The Secret Chapter - 1

Crisis Beat’s bonus image

Speaking of Crisis Beat, there’s extra stuff that you can unlock. Finishing the game first time, you will unlock “Expert” difficulty where you don’t get any continue, no 2nd player entry during playthrough, enemies have more health and more aggressive. Funnily, because enemies have more health, you can net more score defeating them which help you get extra life. Anyway, finishing the game in “Expert” difficulty, you get bonus images of your character. Here they are:

Eiji Garland

So, Eiji is back for police’s job. I’m guessing he’s currently shooting suspect car’s tire to slow them down. Quick thinking, I see.

Julia Jefferson

 

Julia is on grand summer fashion show and she looks happy. Good for her.

Kenneth Kirova


Kenneth is back on spy’s duty. Maybe someday he will cross path with Solid Snake. Who know? What a strange handgun btw.  

Yan Haint Feisu


Lastly here’s picture Feisu with a battle rifle. Maybe she’s up for military career. With experience fighting terrorists with nothing than deck brush, army will accept her for sure. You probably think she’s too you for military service but she’s 19 y.o. I’m not sure how do I knew that she’s 19, maybe from review by HG101. Or you can see her (and other’s) birthdate from the passport on character select screen but it’s obscured by her name.

IV) The Secret Chapter - 2

Blasphemous

Actually, I didn’t want to play Blasphemous because it’s too bleak and horrible to me. Bloody violence is fine in my book but I draw back with nudity and “torturing self for religious insight” theme that the game has. But someone in internet (somehow) managed to convince me to play it while he streamed 100% run of Blasphemous. So, I gave it a shot besides Blasphemous 2 came out this year further encouraging me. It feels aggravating especially regarding the horrible twisted theme even though the combat is quite fine. However, my morale rises upon this fateful rendezvous…

I meet Miriam from Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night, which is Koji Igarashi’s game that i bought for my upcoming birthday present, to replace the missing one for Switch. I respect Miriam very high because she’s spiritual successor of Shanoa, protagonist from Castlevania Order of Eccelsia that’s the most favorite Castlevania game. Both Miriam and Shanoa have ability to extract enemy’s skill that later use as their arsenal. In Shanoa case: the ability called Glyph while Miriam’s case: the ability called Alchemy crystal.

I know that Blasphemous came out years ago. But I play this game blind. Not completely blind because I saw the stream from that guy. Even so I was lurking and not paying attention to the stream 100%. So, I didn’t expect to meet Miriam like this. It’s pleasant surprise.




 

Miriam stuck to this God forsaken world and she need me to collect crystal shard which is part of dimensional portal that connect this world with Bloodstained’s. To do so, I must go through platforming trials. Platforming ability of Penitent one pretty suck (mostly because he can’t do double jump) but I’m still on high spirit regarding helping Miriam back to her world. The finish line of the platforming trial is this luxurious sofa which is save point in Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night. I like the crossover reference. Eventually I collect all the crystal shard and Miriam can go home. She rewards me with magic spell that can summon her as assist. Pyro_specialcompleted-assistedkill01.wav

 

I also found paintings of indie games. All I can identify is Shovel Knight and Matilda Castilla. Feel free to tell me the rest of the paintings.


I finish the game once but I don’t get the real ending so I force myself to play the new game+ in which enemies are stronger. It sounds unfair but on my playthrough I need approximately 2-5 attempts at boss fight while in normal new game, I need 1-3 attempts on boss fight. So, it’s challengingly fair, I guess. To get true ending I have to read wiki and eventually fighting the true boss which is floating giant red naked cardinal. It’s kind of cinematic fight because his health bar is not shown. Finally, I manage to defeat him and weird cutscene happens. I don’t want to spoil it, you have to play the game yourself. I’m done with this game.

Further analysis on combat aspect because that’s the only aspect that I like to say more. Most of prayer (magic spells), prayer bead (accessory), and Mea Culpa Hearts (passive effect) are not balanced in function and practice. The most intuitive yet pretty useful prayer is Verdiales of the Forsaken Hamlet which is the first magic spell you got. Most of the other are not worth to have because they’re lack in range or rather monotonous offensive magic that surround player. Most of prayer bead’s effect feels lackluster. Some of them can refill health but in very miniscule amount. If the heal amount is multiplied by 2 – 2.5 times, the prayer bead will be decent to equip. While the prayer beads that boost defense, they all are decent enough. Then there’s Cloistered Ruby that allow player to shoot deadly projectile after using healing item, which is pretty broken. I use it allow on boss fight and I don’t feel regret using it. The best Mea Culpa Heart is the one that’s mandatory for true ending, which boost sword attack by 25% with no drawback (except you can’t replace it with other once you equip it). As for combat abilities on skill tree, they’re all useful. Probably the least useful is the combo extension because in most of boss fight you want to do hit-and-run strategy to make safe damage trade instead of going full combo. Do I give the game recommendation. I’m afraid not. I feel like I want to play Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night instead. :P       

 

As for the epilogue of this article, i never get tired to say thank you for your care to read my blogger and apologize for my tardiness. I’m really appreciate you all. Really. I kind of proud the fact that I made the greatest number of long playthrough articles. One of the is DreadOut 2 that I promised to review. Also, there’s first article about Gameboy game: Amazing Spider-Man.

So, what’s the plan for next year? There’s still lots of games on my STEAM library! Then there’s unfinished Top 100 Sega Genesis game! Werdito has lots of homework to do! Anyway see you, next year

No comments:

Post a Comment