Tuesday, 15 September 2026

Big Fight - Big Trouble in The Atlantic Ocean (Arcade)

I learn my lesson. Playing Pepsi Man for relaxation is bad idea. This time, I go with my real leisure time. It’s time to play another Side-scrolling beat em up game: Tatsumi’s Big Fight – Big Trouble in The Atlantic Ocean (1992).   

The background for the title screen wasn’t this boring plain black before. It was beautifully parallax scrolling of catwalk and ocean view. But there wasn’t the sub-title “Big Trouble in The Atlantic Ocean” and the developer company’s name. So, you have to settle with this title scree. Sorry. With clue the genre beat em up and ocean on sub-title, the game may be comparable to Dynamite Cop or my beloved Crisis Beat for beat em up game that take place in cruise ship. However, the game is not that good compared to them.

 

So, the story goes like this. In 199X, secret battleship “Skelton Crew” is about to attack on Atlantic Ocean. It’s led by crazy scientist Dr. D. No idea, how the plan works. The ship doesn’t look have cannon or any weapon. So, how this “Skelton Crew” ship brings evil in Atlantic Ocean? Maybe there’s secret biotechnology bomb inside the ship.

 

The ship does have soldiers within it. They’re in perfect parallax line. The clown yonder is Dr. D, by the way. He gives a bit of speech to his followers while sitting in his throne and suddenly shouts “You shall go!” while pointing his giant syringes to the right. Who need commanding officer’s saber from 18th century when you can point out giant syringes which certainly brings fear to anyone. In that regard, Dr. D thinks one step ahead. However, “You shall go!” line is not great for battle cry or motivating order. It should be something like “Onward, for glory!”, “At my behest, go forth!” or something like that. But again, he’s crazy scientist. English speechcraft is not his strong suit.   

 

The task to bring down Dr. D and his evil crews are these persons. They’re not particularly work in military organization or anything except Gear who’s in US navy according to his biodata in attraction mode. Kevin looks like generic street punk with leather jacket. While Zill more resembles aerobics instructor. They don’t bring gun or any weapon. They just happily beat those villains. Particularly, Zill where she cracks her knuckle while smiling gleefully. As you can guess, these trio is another example of trilogy roster of average, slow-yet-strong, and fast-yet-weak character. I guess I pick the most left: Kevin who’s the average guy. Even though he looks disinterested with the mission.        

 

Unlike in Dynamite Cop with sensible infiltration procedure, the Big Fight characters infiltrate the battleship with chopper flying low and Kevin just drop into the deck. Just like that. No anti-air measure within Skelton Crew or anything even though chopper flying low is very noisy.    

The control is like usual. There’s Joystick to move your Big Fighter around. First button to attack and second button to jump. Pressing attack button consecutively will produce combo that hit on enemies. Pressing both jump and attack button will perform desperation attack which is special attack that knock nearby enemies but it costs a bit of health. So, use it only when emergency. Pressing attack while jumping will perform jump attack. You can also perform down jump attack if you press attack while holding down direction on joystick when your character is jumping. Pressing attack button near food item or weapon, will pick them up. Then each character has special command. For example: Kevin can do the rapid punches simply by tapping punch rapidly and it ends with uppercut. You may think the rapid punches can be conflicted with the usual combo attack and you are correct. So, I have to press the attack button with more delay in between if I want to have the combo attack. The rapid punches move is weaker than the normal combo attack so I don’t want it. But I keep accidentally activating it because the input command is quite similar with the normal combo attack. Rapid attack is weaker than normal combo attack also happens in my personal favorite Capcom beat em up game: Warriors of Fate. But at least in WoF, I must mash the attack button more aggressively in order for the rapid attack to come out.

 

There’s the usual sticky grab mechanism where if you approach enemy really close you will automatically grab them. You can follow it up with grabbed attack by simply pressing attack button when grab enemy. It can be done up to 3 times but the last one will release the enemy. Or you can follow up the grab with throw by pressing attack button while holding joystick to left or right. In Kevin’s case, he performs Tomoe Nage. But what intarnation happen, lad? Your body is disjointed with your legs. Horrible! Demoman_sf12_badmagic10.wav

 

Ok. We’re done with beating em up everyone in this deck. I get to choose where do I go next. It’s quite a pity that the level selection only happens in this point. Beyond this point, the game will choose the next level by itself. I pick the most possibly boring method. Picking the most left character and then picking the most top choice on level select. Funnel, that is!  

 

There’s this punk named Uni, eating peacefully. But when Kevin approaches, he flips 2 tables and start to engage fight with Kevin. You know that his table manner is very awful when he flips 2 tables at once. In case you’re curious, Uni means sea urchin in Japanese thus explaining his hair’s shape.

 

Less horrible visual problem than Kevin’s disjointed body and legs is pan that not correctly placed on Kevin’s hand as he swings it on enemy. I’m not sure whether this problem due to emulation problem or that’s what happen in original game. What I know is: apparently everyone who plays this game has the same visual error.

 

At the funnel/chimney of the ship, Mevella awaits. She’s one of Dr D’s follower from the intro. Kevin deal with her by grabbing her and then punching her in the thigh which quite rude. So, there’s grapple as combo finisher if you hold joystick in down direction while doing the combo. It’s unblockable but deal less damage and you have to be rather close to enemy in order to make it connects. 


Boss fight can be tedious because bosses like to block your attack! However, you can attack them while they’re downed with jumping down attack for extra clean hit.   

 

Kevin win and he does generic victory pose with peace sign while smiling. I think, he’s more in the mood for the mission.

 

After defeated, Mevella joins our team. She said “Now, I come to my sense. Can you take me into partnership?” and Kevin agrees. Apparently, she’s brainwashed to join Dr. D. By beating the senseless out of her, the brainwash wore off and she joins the good guy’s side. Kind of like Christina in Deception III, you know.

 

Before this stage starts, I can choose to play as Mevella but I stick with Kevin for now. Strangely, I couldn’t switch to 2 other characters back then. Anyway, here’s harpoon gun. Not many beat-em-up game, have harpoon gun that you can use like in Mug Smasher.  

 

You are not Julia Jefferson from Crisis Beat. Go away! Their name J.J. probably stands for Jason Junior. Bastards wearing hockey mask and claw bracer who think they’re direct descendant of Jason Vorhees. While in truth, they are not! They just big fans of the Friday 13th Slasher monster.

 

Now, we got B.B probably stands for Big Bald which describes perfectly who he is. Big guy that lost his hairlines. But don’t let that silly name deceives you. This big bastard is annoying and dangerous. He has ability to run you over and do bear hug. I barely able to break free from the bear hug. I try mashing attack and jump buttons but I just couldn’t get away. Other people have easier breaking free from his bear hug though. Maybe I didn’t mash the buttons hard or fast enough. Or I have to input the command for desperation attack more accurately.

 

I like my enemies burning with hand grenade that I threw at them. That burning sprite is as neat as the one in Street Fighter 2, I reckon.

 

The special feature of this game is the anger power. If you get knocked down while your health is around 20%, you can mash the attack button to activate anger power. Upon successful activation, your character will rise by doing desperation attack automatically and they have temporary attack buff. There’s lighting crackle surrounding them and their jab generates power wave that knock away enemies. Their throw also enhanced which makes enemies thrown into wall and bounce. Also, increase its damaging power significantly.

Kevin defeated eventually. But Gear is ready to replace him. Gear’s throw is gorilla press throw while looking at player with smile. He’s quite charismatic.

 

Gear’s desperation attack is hurricane kick. It has 60% similarity to Tatsumaki Senpu Kyaku. Master Gouken will be pleased seeing this man does the desperation attack. Apparently, we’re in aquarium area of the ship but I think the aquarium is just glass plane that allow you to see outside into the deep sea. Because why you need water tank filled with fishes that require proper maintenance when the sea around the ship is already filled with fishes. No idea why there’s aquarium inside the ship. Maybe it’s Japanese thing. I also see another case of aquarium inside vacation cruise ship in one of the events in Azur Lane. Never mind warships with the form of female human wanting to have vacation voyage on cruise ship. I’m more confused with why there’s aquarium inside a cruise ship. It seems either too luxurious or redundant.

Anyway, the aquarium also home to Egypt exhibition with sarcophagus on there. Also, these mummy monsters want to bring harm on Gear. Meanwhile, the janitors and the visitors in the back seem ignorant to the big fight over here.   

 

The sarcophagus open with smokes or maybe that was dust and then Pharaoh comes to fight me just like in Night Slasher.

 

Pharaoh quite often do the spinning headbutt. I can block that attack and punish him for overcommitting with the headbutt. To block, simply hold down the attack button and hold joystick in back direction. But note that you will take chip damage when blocking enemy’s attack.  

 

Or I can use this beer bottle that happen to lie nearby, to smack Pharaoh in the head while he does the stupid flying headbutt. That works quite well.

 

Look how happy he is after defeating Pharaoh, the ruler of ancient Egypt. Good for him. So, that’s 2 Dr. D’s followers down.

 

Before, we go to next stage. There’s bonus stage where I have to destroy these big boxes. There’s chain that you can pick up and use it to bash the boxes easier. It is not iron pipe but this will do. Apples come out from the boxes. You can pick them for extra score but I suggest don’t. Just focus on breaking the boxes which is more important. When the timer reaches zero and not all boxes are completely destroyed, your character will be sad. :(

Gah! The level starts with waiter trolleys come at me just like in final level of Streets of Rage.

 

At the end of this corridor, there are 2 horror slasher wannabe want to fight Gear. But he decides to just keep walking and the screen fades to black. I ensure you that Gear is fine. Nothing horrible like he get shredded by those 2 psychos and brutal dismemberment happens. Gear just skips the fight for no reason.

 

Suddenly, we’re in Japanese garden filled with Tanuki statues with big nut sack. This is where saying “Deez nuts” is very appropriate. Inside the garden, Gear fought this samurai named Kojirou. Maybe Dr. D made clones of the famous Sasaki Kojiro and he obtained the famous samurai’s DNA somehow. But I don’t think they’re what 100% Sasaki Kojiro look like. They’re more like result of DNA mixing between Sasaki Kojiro and comedic wayang figure named Petruk. At least that explains, they’re not that good at fighting Gear.   

 

Gear is down. So, I reckon it’s good time to pick Mevella. If you want to play as playable dominatrix with whip, this game is perfect for you! Pharaoh will get his turn later. Don’t worry. Look at that thieving cat steals fish while running really fast. It’ quite impossible to see them well when the game runs. They’re naughty but also cute.

 

Suddenly Gonza ambushed me and takes me to the roof for fight. I describe Gonza as mixture of Sumo Wrestler, Kabuki Artist, and Yakuza because he like to show off his tattoo. He can spin on his head while stretching out his hand, hoping to slap anyone in the leg. You should stick to something more logical like spinning Lariat, buddy. As you expect from whip, it has long range and you can use it to interrupt enemy’s attack from a distance but it swings pretty slow.

Gonza kicks out his sandal as projectile and return like boomerang! It may look silly but it makes more sense than soul fireball comes out from hand.  

 

Mevella doesn’t survive the fight with Gonza but she did well make some serious dent on his health. Now is Pharaoh’s turn. His spinning headbutt can be used to counter Gonza’ jumping attack! Pharaoh says something like “Tenberg!” while does this move. But according to his move list in attraction mode, this move’s name is Zutan Bird. I don’t think Zutan has anything to do with ancient Egypt. From quick research, Zutan may refer to name of home healthcare in Omaha, brand of pentoxyverine cough medicine or the name of repair officer in Star Trek Online game. I could be wrong, though. By the way, Zutan Bird move is done with command input: half-circle-forward motion on joystick and press attack button.  

 

Gonza joins the team after getting beaten senselessly. I like each character has something to say when you select them. Like Gonza: My slaps can smash even a rock. That sounds promising. Or Gear: I’ll show them the strength of Red Berets. Pharaoh: I will show you cursed magic of Egypt. They’re quite cheesy with their boasting. Meanwhile, Mevella: Mevella’s whipping will teach you a lesson. That sounds like threat to me.

Now, we’re in gym where people do aerobic and using pulldown machine. Pharaoh probably not familiar with these gym machine that may look like torture machine in his age. No time for Pharaoh to ponder these marvels as guys on pulldown machine stop the exercise and begin to attack him.

 

Then Pharaoh uses grenade launcher to destroy his enemies. Clearly, grenade launcher wasn’t invented in era of ancient Egypt. I think Dr. D taught him to operate modern weapon when he’s under the brainwash. But it’s not complicated procedure than point the weapon’s end to enemy and pull the trigger. Meanwhile, people in the back are too busy with doing curl weight exercise or showing his biceps muscles. They simply ignore ancient Egypt king shooting grenade launcher which is very weird spectacle to me.

 

Look at these guys at sauna showing their built muscle, while ignoring the cursed magic of Egypt unfolds before their very eyes. I like this desperation attack where he rotates his head and the snake on his hat fires laser around him. He says “Blue magi” while doing so which not so make sense.   

 

There’s area called Garden Pool attached to the gym and sauna that we have been there before. I was expecting hunks and babes in swimsuit in -so called- garden pool. Much to my disappointment, I only find hippo and monkey here. Then there’s Garuda. He’s the last of the three Dr. D’s followers in intro but he still has more follower at his disposal. Garuda is stereotypical Amerindian with the name of Hindu Deity probably to indicate how strong he is. But that doesn’t stop Zill to launch her flying knee attack. It’s done by wiggling the joystick twice to either left or right and pressing attack button.   

 

Later boss stage tends to block more often. There’s no totally reliable countermeasure for this problem. You can try dashing attack that hit enemy multiple times like Zill’s flying knee and Pharaoh’s Zutan Bird. Because those moves do multiple hits, hopefully one of the hits will not be blocked. Or you can use the combo with grab finisher. It deals less damage but it’s unblockable. Or combination of both. I can defeat Garuda relatively easy with the combination of the flying knee and grab finisher. So, I use the flying knee to close in on Garuda and I end up close enough to make the grab finisher to connect. In Zill’s case, the grab finisher is she grabs her opponent and slap them repeatedly. I like the Garuda’s expression there.

 

Next there’s another bonus stage. It’s whack-a-mole but with clowns as target and they come out from these plastic cylinders. You need to hit them 30 times and you finish the stage perfectly. There’s a hammer that you can pick up to make this bonus stage easier but it’s quite hidden behind the audience on the center. Obviously, you don’t need hammer if you play as Mevella with her whip. Not sure which these clowns prefer to get hit by, the hammer lies nearby or the whip wielded by dominatrix.

 

The three initial characters have jumping grab move. Kevin does the usual Tomoe Nage but in mid-air. Gear does jumping suplex. While Zill does jumping backbreaker! In the biodata, she fights with Kung Fu style. I’m not sure what style of Kung Fu that does jumping backbreaker like wrestler.

 

Gonza replaced Zill. The bartender over there is not some exhibitionist pervert who want to steal that guest’s girlfriend by showing his well-built muscle. He just another Dr. D’s thugs that previously disguised as bartender, and now he wants to fight Gonza.

Gonza’s desperation attack is he throws his sandal and it flies around him. It looks funny but something more different than his projectile attack will be nice in my opinion. The ticket booth attendants seem ignorance to this weird fight. But turns out they’re also disguised Dr. D’s thug and soon they will jump into the action.

 

There’s drama theatrical on the back but who care? Garuda fries his enemy using feather shoot. You know in some retro video game where creatures attack you by shooting their feather. Now you can do that as Garuda in this game. It’s executed by wiggling the joystick twice to either left or right and pressing attack button. Same goes to Gonza’s sandal throw.

 

After that drama theater, I arrive at disco and fighting Chinese swordmaster that also act as disco dancer, maybe? This is the second time, I witness beat em up game has boss fight in disco besides in Battle Circuit.

 

Ok. This is stupid. How my desperation attack loses to Chen’s rolling attack? Desperation attack should have high priority over any moves! >:(

 

Eventually, I defeat Chen and take him into partnership as usual. Because this is the last level, I should pick Chen right away. Much like Mevella, Chen can’t take any weapon that I can find. If he picks up weapon, he treats it as score item. Chen has slightly stronger jab than Mevella but shorter. I like his neutral jump kick where he kicks left and right. Fairly useful to kick enemy around him.

With special command: half-circle-forward motion and press attack button. He can shoot out mystic dragon. It has slow execution time but I reckon this is the strongest projectile move in the game. Why he has ability to do that? I think that’s because he has been very long time in disco and during that time, he has absorbed the power of strobing light from disco ball 24/7.

 

There’s another visual error when he does the rolling attack. It makes him shrink and his legs disconnected to his torso. As to the command input for it. It’s very weird and unusual. It’s half-circle motion from down to up and press attack button. The detection for the special input is iffy and hard to connect. I think the motion input should be fast and I need joystick for that. Using keyboard is not fast enough.

 

Mevella is the only one who can stomp enemies while they’re down by simply pressing attack button near them. I bet she prefers stomp enemies in the nut. What a pervert sicko.

 

Her another special move is: she spins around enemy’s neck. The victim’s neck may be broken but he probably prefers to die this way. The grab move is done with half-circle-forward and pressing attack button while grabbing enemy. Gear also has special grab move done in the same way. It’s called Dragon Screw in which looks like the normal throw but with addition the victim is getting spun first.

 

I accidentally discover Mevella’s grab finisher which is she spins her victim like a spinning top repeatedly. Disappointingly, the victim doesn’t go like real spinning top and hit his brethren in process. By the way, there’s Dr. D sitting in throne and watches the fight.

Now is the bout with Dr. D himself. The syringes he has, are dangerous weapon. Not only they’re comically oversized, but also they can stretch up to half of the screen! Dr. D has desperation attack in form of spinning fire breath. Attack that stretches long plus fire breath. That’s what Dhalsim from Street Fighter 2, capable of. D on his name could be Dhalsim. But no way this sicko is Dhalsim, he has different haircut though. But I can assume Dr. D has altered Dhalsim’s DNA into his body.

 

Dr. D does something that not any final boss of in other beat em up games and that is: not finishing the fight like how he should do. Instead, he retreats into engine room when his health is down to 50%. After, I defeat his remaining henchmen. I encounter Dr. D. along with his horrible creation: TX-No. 3. Both the experimental beast and the mad scientist love to block my attack. To make things worse, TX-No. 3 loves to shoot me with either laser gun or machine gun on his hand. He can also extend his arm to grab me and then throw me like bag full of thrash.

 

Wonderful! He also has rocket punch. Look at that bastard sitting on generator while giggling at me who have to fight this abomination. 

 

Finally, Dr. D is defeated with jumping suplex by Gear like how beat em up game should be finished! Cm_soldier_matchwon_01.mp3

Then the ship explodes. It’s villain clichĂ© 101: “With thy defeated, thine home destroyed automatically”. That’s common for castle but for vacation cruise ship? It’s super unusual. At least, in Crisis Beat the reason for the ship exploded is explained. It’s because the terrorist already planted dozens of bombs in the stern. But not in this case. The ship exploded just because Dr. D defeated. Heavy_sf13_magic_reac03.wav

 

The trio jumps into the ocean safely along with subdued Dr. D. They talk about having drink party tonight and entirely ignore the sinking ship. Now you know who’s the real villain. Most people have theory that all the passengers don’t survive because no lifeboat can be seen in this scene. But I like to have different theory. Maybe the lifeboats are long gone before this scene. The characters outside of these trio, managed to warn all the passengers and escape safely. That makes sense, no?  

 

Then the credit rolls along with all playable characters that either walk pass or do the dashing/charging attack. That’s Chen’s rolling attack that I talked about. It’s not good special move. The input command is iffy and when I do manage to pull it off, it only deals 1 hit which can be easily block. Besides, his torso and legs become disconnected.

 

Dr. D is behind bars but he warns you that there will be another Dr. D. The warning may hook up the sequel but there’s no sequel to Big Fight. Next Tatsumi’s product before going into bankruptcy is palm-reading machines, from what I heard. But maybe the fortune-telling machine is part of new Dr. D’s subtle plan. Who know?

 

Tatsumi’s Big Fight – Big Trouble in The Atlantic Ocean (1992) is rather tedious side-scrolling beat-em-up game. I complained about some bosses in Burning Fight like to block a lot. This game is even worse than that! Everyone can block my attack especially in later level. Ok, not all enemies can block. There’s only a handful number of enemy types that don’t block. They’re the mummy monsters named Scarab, Samurai guy Kojirou, and Jason Voorhees’ kids wannabe JJ. Other than those, they can and will block your attack. I have mentioned before that to mitigate enemy that block, you can use grab finisher or any dashing/charging attack that deal multiple hits or combination of both. Walk up to them and try to grab them, is valid idea. However, later bosses have grab with higher priority like final boss of Fighting Master: Valgasu. Trying grab is mostly work only to non-boss enemies. Another thing that really annoys me is: most bosses can and will block your attack while still in the middle of attacking animation. That's absolutely forbidden and preposterous! Another problem with enemy’s block is: it can also block desperation attack! Your desperation attack that cost bit of your health can be blocked! I mean desperation attack mostly deal multiple hit that probably can get through enemy’s block but that doesn’t mean it’s totally useful against enemy’s block. So, that’s way to waste your health uselessly. On the other hand, bosses can perform this desperation attack without any health cost. This is so unfair. Another thing bad about the block is: it knocks back my character so my next attack is hard to connect. Furthermore, it’s hard to perform combo attack. It’s easy to fix this game. Just make everyone doesn’t have ability to block. Or at least, for the non-boss enemies.

On the bright side, I like how well diverted the roster and the moveset. I accidentally discovered that there’s heavy attack which is done by holding joystick to up direction and pressing attack. Most of the heavy attacks are fairly useful except for Gear which is in form of grabbed chop that has very short range. Same goes to Gonza’s which is short-range grabbed headbutt. I really appreciate that I can use the jump down attack to hit downed enemy like in Guardians/Denjin Makai II. I also like the weapon that I can get such as: fencing sword, hammer, spear gun, grenade launcher and chain. Curiously, there’s no conventional gun in this game. Not even handgun. Then there’s Anger Power which is good feature when your health is low. With Anger Power, your jab can knock enemy away an instant but you can’t form combo. So, the real benefit of Anger Power is to strengthen your throw or special moves. The story is nonsense and weird. I mean why there’s still passengers or janitors in the ship which is designated to be Dr. D’s vessel of terrorism/criminal/whatever evilness. At least in Crisis Beat or Dynamite Cop, the passengers were taken hostage. Even though it only for once, the stage select feature is quite good. There’s quite significant change on level depends on its order. The stage that you pick earliest will be shortest version of it. Conversely, the latest stage will be the longest version of it. There’s drastic change on funnel area’s background. If it’s the early stage, the background takes setting of sunrise time. If it’s the middle stage, the background takes setting on afternoon time. If it’s the latest stage, the background takes setting on night time. The sound effect is not great. Same goes to graphic. But I like the burning sprite.   

 

It goes without saying that Big Fight – Big Trouble in The Atlantic Ocean (1992) is arduous game to play but I have fun playing it. Maybe because of the wacky story and grab finisher. Anyway, it has been long time that I make character stats analysis. So, I do this for occasion along with their quote. Even though there are 8 characters which as many as in roster of Guardians/Denjin Makai II.

 

“I’ll smash up these villains”. But you’re terrible at it, Kevin. Shame on you! If there’s chance that I make tierlist of Big Fight’s playable character, Kevin will be in very bottom because his moveset is the most terrible. His signature move is the rapid punches which can be neither stopped earlier nor extended longer. It has fixed duration no matter whether you stop or keep pressing the attack button. You can accidentally execute this move which deal less damage than the normal combo. So, what’s the point of this special move? Because this stupid special move requires stamina and speed, his primary stats: Strength (at 3/5) and his secondary stats: Agility (at 2.5/5). The only good thing about him is the heavy attack which is simple uppercut that can be useful as anti-air measure and bosses like to jump attack you. 

 

“I’ll show them the strength of Red Berets”. Gear is my main because his normal combo always finished with throw. He does have the particular grab finisher which he grabs the opponent, punches them repeatedly and finish with headbutt. But the grab finisher deals less damage and requires you to be very close to enemy. So, it’s redundant. Just focus on his normal combo and you don’t have to worry about enemy’s block that much. Obviously, his primary stats: Strength (at 4/5). He has little bit of finesse on his technique so his Dexterity is 2.5/5. He’s the only character who has throw finish on normal combo and it makes the gameplay as smooth as some Capcom’s game. If he had charging/dashing special move, he would be the best character to play as.

 

“I’m not inferior to a man”. But what is a man? Miserable pile of secret. Anyway, Zill is quite fun to play as. Surprisingly. I think she’s the opposite of Kevin in main stats. Primary stats: Agility at 3/5. Secondary stats: Strength at 2.5/5. Much like Yan H Feisu from Crisis Beat and Zhou Yun from Warriors of Fate, Zill is the fastest on the roster but doesn’t feel very fast. The reason why his Strength is 2.5/5, because of her jumping grab move which is back breaker. You need at least above average strength to do that. She has rolling kick which is done with half-circle motion from down to up and press attack button, like Chen’s rolling attack. It deals single instance of damage and it’s hard to pull it off. So, I suggest you ignore that special move exists. Just use the flying knee with wiggling the joystick forward twice and pressing attack button. It’s easier to pull off. Because it covers long distance, you can use it to approach enemy aggressively and you can follow it up with either combo or grab.

 

“Mevella’s whipping will teach you a lesson “. She’s so threatening with those words. But that’s natural for dominatrix. I think using whip requires Dexterity more than anything else. She has to control that long whip to hit her opponent and prevent hitting herself in process. So, her main stats: Dexterity (at 4/5). The idea of using her whip, is to make enemies stay back. But due to her attack being slow, she ends up surrounded by the enemies quite quickly. To make things worse, her desperation attack where she does spinning jump knee, is very short. Why not use her whip? No idea. Maybe she fights better if you play the game with 2 players. On the bright side, Mevella can easily outrange boss’ attack quite well. Note that both Mevella and Chen treat any weapon as score item because they can't use any weapon.

 

“I will show you cursed magic of Egypt” What about the non-cursed magic of Egypt? Pharaoh (or sometime written as Fharaoh with F), is another my main. He boasts his capability at cursed magic. Not sure in what form other than his desperation attack where the snake in his hat shoots laser and flying for long time in Zutan Bird special move. Oh, wait! He can occasionally stretch his arm although not as long as what Dhalsim can do. So, his primary stats: Intelligence at 4/5. His attack power is quite decent. So, his secondary stats: Strength at 3.5/5. Pharaoh has the most charging/dashing attack which is 3. First, he has sliding kick done by wiggling the joystick forward twice and pressing attack button. It deals small damage within shorter distance. On the bright side, the move has small recovery time. Second, the special move that I like the most: Zutan Bird. He always says the silly move’s name everytime he does it. It’s the opposite of the sliding kick. It’s long-range charging move and it deals multiple hits, but has slow recovery time. Third, his jumping attack is diving forward kind of like Alex does in Street Fighter III - 3rd strike. Overall, Pharaoh is good character for rushdown style.

 

“My slaps can smash even a rock”. It will be better if you learn hundred slaps from E. Honda, Gonza. Gonza’s fighting style is all into the strength with weird stupid technique. Besides, he’s the slowest character. So, his primary stats: Strength at 4/5. His Agility and Dexterity stats: 2.5/5. I wish he had special grab move, so he became more interesting. His sandal throw probably the second strongest projectile move. The recovery time on that projectile move depends on travel distance. It takes longer time for the sandal to return if the projectile reach maximum range or hit enemy at long distance. It has same mechanic as Carl from Brawl Stars.

 

“I.. Garuda never disappoint you”. But you kind of disappoint me because your projectile attack is the weakest. Garuda has the most problematic portrayal especially with his walking animation and winning pose. With decent attack power and his throw being jumping piledriver. I reckon his primary Stats: Strength at 3.5/5. He’s so agile while doing the jumping piledriver. He adds roll while doing so if you input the usual directional throw. I can tell that his secondary stats: Agility at 2.5/5. Garuda is the only ex-boss character that has jumping throw. That makes 4 characters that has jumping throw: him and the main trio. His feather projectile is the weakest projectile attack and the hit detection is pretty iffy. Imagine, the feathers miss when he shoots them at nigh point-blank distance while targeting B.B the big bald guy! Or I was just unlucky that time. Takes aside of the worst projectile attack, he’s decent character to pick.

 

“I’ll make my sword suck up your blood” Even threatening words than Mevella. Chen is Kung Fu martial artist with decent attack power. That means his main stats: Strength and Dexterity. Both stats at 3/5. He has capability to cast the Kung Fu magic that shoot out mystic dragon. So, his Intelligence at 2.5/5. His attack has less reach than Mevella’s but slightly stronger. I don’t recommend you use his rolling attack. Just use his weird Kung Fu magic which is the strongest projectile attack and it travels through several enemies. He has the weirdest throw move: he stands on his sword, using his legs to catapult his enemy while twisting his body. I don’t think I can imitate that strange throw move.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment